Girl Talk

"Dad you can't be serious! Everyone is going!" I try reason with my father.

"I don't care Spencer. You're fourteen years old, you're not going to a high school party." My dad tells me sternly.

"But I'M in high school dad!" I almost shout. Seriously, I love my dad to death but sometimes he can be incorrigible.

"Arthur, let her go." My mom says from the kitchen.

"Absolutely not, Paula! My high school freshmen daughter will not be going to a party thrown by upperclassmen. It just won't happen." My dad tells my mom, shaking his head.

"Glen will be there." I try.

"Yes, Glen will be there." My mother says.

"Yeah dad, I'll look out for her." Glen says, looking up from his PS Vista.

"Nope." My dad says again and shakes his head.

"Ugh." I sigh out frustrated.

"Arthur you're crowding again." My mom says as I stomp over to the couch and sit down next to Glen.

"With good reason." Is my dad's reply.

"This sucks." I say to Glen.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I really thought he'd let you go if I said I was going." Glen shrugs. "Lindsey going?" He looks over to me and asks.

"Yeah." I nod and roll my eyes. I really wanted to hang with her outside of my families garage and school.

"Sucks." Glen shakes his head.

"I get the whole, 'I'm his only daughter thing', but he's gonna have to let me go at some point."

"Yeah..." Glen says standing up from the couch. "That won't be anytime soon."

"I gathered." I say and sigh.

This year is gonna totally suck.

"So Ashley, how'd you become apart of our little group here?" Jo asks with a smile as we eat dinner.

"Actually, I'm not really..." Ashley starts, I immediately turn my head, extremely interested in what she's about to say. She notices me looking at her and clears her throat before starting again. "We met in a house in Pine Nut, Spencer and Glen here came in guns blazing on me and my friend Aiden." She says and chuckles.

"That's our Spencer and Glen for you." Jayden says and laughs along with Ashley.

I don't see what's so funny.

"So is it just you and this Aiden person?" Rick asks in a forceful tone with narrowed eyes.

"Um...no." Ashley replies after a moment.

"Care to elaborate." He snaps and Ashley gives me a confused look. I shrug. Ricks a douche but he's never been this abrasive.

"It was about twenty of us. Aiden and I went out on a scavenge and when we got back most were dead and the rest were... gone." Ashley says quietly. I know that she's thinking about her little sister being out in the woods without her or worse...dead.

"How many men were in your group?" Rick asks.

Seriously... what the hell?

"I think that's enough talk about her group honey, how about we just eat." Santana turns to her husband and says.