Charlotte: Chapter 4

||Chapter 4; A Break In The Wind||

One thing I've always hated growing up is the fact of ever losing my parents. I always had that one voice in the back of my head screaming:

'Where's mommy and daddy?!?'

For example, has it ever happened to you were one day your out with your parent at some place busy and poof, one minute their here, one minute later their gone. You look around frantically, trying not to scream your head off but it's like standing in a crowded room, screaming and no one can hear you. Has that ever happened? Now, I have to worry about three. Father, mother and the little Cookie Monster Bailey, my baby sister.

"Last name Miss,"

A army officer spoke to me, flipping threw dirty papers on his clip board. I gently scratch my wrist, for it shows a kind of nervousness in the pit of my stomach.

"Atkinson"

His full face only lit up a smudge when he found someone under my last name, hopefully my parents.

"A women and a child, right this way"

My mom! My sister! Oh thank God I would see them again. But to my understanding, where was my father? I gripped the guy's arm causing him to turn back to me.

"Wait, that's only my mother and sister, what about my father?"

The man's face hardened with a still dull glance, he placed a hand on my shoulder with a sad smile. Oh no.. Dad...

"Miss, we're at war. You have to consider the other possibilities when such a thing happens"

Tears stabbed my eyes, threatening to fall down my cheeks. An endless pit of despair pierced my heart, frying every bone in its way. A soft arm wrapped around my waist and my body was brought to Jasper's.

"I'm so sorry Charlotte... Come on, let's go see your mom"

He whispered gently, I nodding my head in effect as tears dropped onto my dirty shirt. We walked hand in hand, towards a room of wailing men and screaming woman. Each one with their own cuts and bruises just like us, but felt more pain. Some were knocked out with a bleeding head, while others were going insane. This survivor camp was an asylum for the crazies that were once normal. How long is it before we turn? Suddenly a shout broke out to me.

"Sissy!!"

My baby sister Bailey screamed out rushing towards ms before giving me the greatest, four year old hug in history. I bent down, my eyes leaking but with a proud smile.

"Hi Bailey.. Are you okay?"

She smiled at me and Jasper, pushing her dirty brown hair behind her ear.

"Hhhmmn! Daddy saved me before I got shot, and then he flopped on the floor but never got up. I don't know why but mommy's crying a lot and
she says that daddy will be here soon with me and you and mommy and Jasper!"

She took about one breath and said it all. More tears lingered down my face as I brought her into another hug. Dad saved Bailey's life, all because he loved his baby girls. Suddenly, the face of my sick mother came into view and I dashed to her as well.

"Oh mom! You don't know how much I've missed you!"

She gave a tiny smile before wrapping her arms around me, as did I. Mother had pulled away and gave one needed hug to Jasper.

"Mom, I'm so sorry about not coming home that night. And I'm really sorry about dad-"

"You should leave"

To my surprise, mother spoke in a bold voice, like the kind you would hear from a president. I blinked away dry tears and gave mother a shocked look.

"What?"

"I said you should leave. Leave this place for good Charlotte, I don't want my babies to have their youth reminded of a dead father and war."

I only starred at her, wondering what was her point for wanting me to leave.

"Bailey shouldn't have to go through this at this age, and neither should you."

"But mom, I don't under-"

"Just a state away from here, your aunt Kelly has a safe house underground. There's a tunnel from the basement leading to it, stay there with Jasper and Bailey until you hear it's safe to come out. There's food, water, a bathroom, books and a radio for you three to listen to."

Confusion set my mind, why would she want us to go there? If the world's gonna blow up then surely the ground will go with it.

"Mom, I don't see-"

"Just listen to me for once Charlotte, I need to know that your safe and well, Jasper and Bailey included. Can't you see your mother's dying and needs for you to protect the ones you love before you go?"

Tears set down both Jasper's and my face now, causing little Bailey to wipe away my tear.

"What's wrong sissy? Daddy will be back soon"

Oh it wasn't about daddy Bailey, it's about mommy and daddy but your too young to know what dying is.

"You leave tonight, when half of security will be sleeping. Set foot always east and before you leave, steal some food and water. That should be all set for you three now."

Giving one last look at my mother, one kiss on the cheek and bone crushing hug lead me to say goodbye. I grabbed Bailey's small hand and Jasper slipped his arm onto my waist once more before heading towards the exit.

"Oh and Charlotte?"

I turned around quickly, knowing her death could be any moment by now.

"If you were smart, you would kill the bastard who started this all before we all die. For you mother and father"