Chapter 1: Jasper

Chapter 1: The Countdown.

Jasper's POV

The night was dusty. There was smoke covering the houses and clouds covered the peaks of skyscrapers. Jasper's small, red brick house; lay silently in the distance on top of a hill. His friend Charlotte was over as she had come for help since her exams were near. Her parents didn't care about her work though she needed extra help, so Jasper assisted her instead.

She always struggled with her art and English, and Jasper loved those subjects except maths, but Charlotte didn't. They were silently studying and helping each other in Jasper's room, listening do the lazy beat of the speaker behind them. There was a rush of steps coming towards the door and heavy breathing as well. Jasper and Charlotte looked up slowly.

The door slammed open and Jasper's mum stood there with her cooking apron still on. She had a red face and tears brushed down her cheeks.

"Jasper, Charlotte come quick, I-I, never mind you can see for yourself." She rushed out the door. Jasper looked outside of the room, as his mum ran towards the lounge along the wooden oak hallway. Jasper and Charlotte followed her down the hallway with a slight jump in the steps, and a stomach full of butterflies.

They stood behind Jasper's mum, looking at the TV. Giant words flashed, as if they were jumping out of the screen. There was red breaking news: Hydrogen bomb, launched.

Jasper looked at his mum, "what does this mean mum?" he asked with a stutter, "What are they saying?" he pointed at the TV, "the News what do they mean?"

Jasper's mum looked at his son. "It means the end of the world son. Say your last goodbyes," she said softly. Jasper and Charlotte looked at each other shocked.

He looked as more news appeared. Things like, "hide in your homes, run for safety. Radius expected to destroy half of the northern and Sothern hemisphere."

Jasper sat down on the couch and everyone joined him. They watched and looked at the small numbers at the bottom of the TV. Two minutes. Jasper new what they meant. He watched silently as the numbers slowly ticked away.

Jasper looked at Charlotte and smiled at her. He leaned forward and hugged her tightly and she smiled softly back at him, hugging him back. They stood there holding each other as the numbers ticked down.

60....

45....

10...

7...

4...

3...

2...

1...

"Goodbye Charlotte," Jasper said, kissing her softly on her lips.