Chapter 2 - New / Old

I wake up on a bench. My back hurts, and my head aches. The sun is setting, and the breeze sends a chill down my spine, which can only mean one thing. I'm back. On earth. I'm also hungry. I get up, adrenaline running through my body, swiping myself down to rid myself of any dirt I picked up from the ground. I begin walking to a nearby store in the town I grew up in. I recognise this park, I recognise this walk, I recognise these buildings. Walking along these familiar streets feels weird, like I've been gone for years. I know where I will stay. There's a reclusive area behind a set of small shops in a desolate part of town. It will be perfect, except for the fact that I will fall victim to the elements. Oh well. Can't have everything. I enter a superstore, and swipe a reusable bag. I load it with canned foods, bread, water, and a blanket inside. I sort through the jackets in the clothing section, pick one and head into the changing rooms. I try on the jacket to ensure it fits decently and pat it down to make sure there's no security tag. On the way out of the clothing section, I inconspicuously grab a pair of large, dark sunglasses and a black scarf. I put these on, slip into the jacket, push the shopping bag up on my arm, and walk to the homeware section. I grab a knife, and walk out of the shop.

The alarm blares. Shit. The blanket must have had a security tag. I glance behind me and see one of the workers speed-walking towards me. Poor thing. Retail is not for those faint of heart. I bolt down the street, bee-lining through the people who crowd the streets. Despite being an inconvenient obstacle, they help with my get-away in the long run. After all, how hard is it to get lost in a crowd of unassuming people? I take a left down an alley in between a shop block and apartment buildings. I dart forwards, and only once I exit the alley I slow to a walk. I make my way to my new home, a discreet spandrel underneath the steps to the back entrance of a shop. I walk for about twenty minutes until I reach my destination.

I take out the blanket from the bag, fold it in half, and set it on the ground, so that I will be able to sleep on half of it and cover myself with the other half. I gulp down some water, and eat to slices of bread. Without my wings that I used to be able to summon at any moment, I'm freezing. I settle into a corner, drawing the blanket around myself to block out the cold. I need to begin thinking how I will help my mother. How I will get Watson locked up. Evil son of a bitch. I will never forgive him from doing this to me, nor will my mother when she finds out. The only plan I can think of is to haunt him until he goes mad and turns himself in. Or, I could somehow lead the police to my body without incriminating myself. I must check on my mother tomorrow, but for now, I need rest. I swallow the last bite of bread, put my bag behind where my head will lie, out of view to passers-by, and lie down. My eyes flutter from tiredness. For a split second, I think I see a hooded silhouette among the brush ahead of me. My eyes fly wide open, I see nothing. Tired eyes play tricks. It's not long before I fall into a deep, dark sleep.

***

Tonight, I dream of my mother. Her smile as she tucks me into bed. The gentle way she strokes my hair while saying, "Night, night. Don't let the bed bugs bite!" One second she's there, smiling with that motherly pride, and the next, she's nowhere to be seen and I feel like I'm choking, fingers against my neck, pressure on my stomach. I wake up, gasping for air. Despite the cold, I'm drenched in sweat, panting heavily, in the darkness. This isn't the first time I've had a dream like that. They always end in suffocation, but all begin with different memories. Only a couple hours until I see my mother's face again. I hope she's ok. I wonder if she misses me. I calm down, and fall asleep once again.

Only this time I don't dream. And when I wake up, a new bottle of water and pre-made sandwiches await me.