[03] THE ESCAPADE

Your heart is rattling quicker each second, like a bird trapped inside a cage awaiting its death for its wings can no longer help flee

Your heart is rattling quicker each second, like a bird trapped inside a cage awaiting its death for its wings can no longer help flee. To you, birds were exquisite beings. Taking flight in the endless sky, no barricades had ever stopped them from extending their wings and swiftly letting them guide along with the gentle wind. And here you were, waiting for the barrier to open so you could take your own flight — inviting Death to your front door.

Is it nerves? Excitement? Fear? You don't know. You didn't care. Levi's promise to you last night is a constant reminder that there is someone that values your life. You won't die. There is someone who will await your presence when you are to come back. It is the very first time someone has even cared. You aren't going to let a well-wisher be disappointed.

The beautiful sky has proclaimed itself with porcelain clouds as they flowed effortlessly, and yet — it almost feels as if they were weighing you down, burdening your shoulders as you slouch on your horse, unsure of how you are feeling. You look to your side, glancing at every member of the special operations squad. They are prepared.

With the loud sound of the flare, the barricade slowly but surely lifts up, and the hooves roar as horses gallop through the dark tunnel, turning their heads above to see the sky beyond the walls. Just like that, it is the start of the fifty-seventh expedition.

Following your assigned formations, you grasp onto the reins of your horse, appearing right beside Levi as he guides your squad toward the forest. Eren is a step behind you, knowing better than to stay out of the sight of his supervisor. You, despite the roaring of your colleagues and the titans around you, refuse to look behind — because if you turn, you will no longer be able to hold yourself back from charging in battle — jeopardizing the entire formation Erwin had planned. So you ride your horse while listening to the moans of your comrades dying in futility, suppressing the urge to assist those in need. It is no easy task.

Erwin Smith is a manipulating man. He has managed to convince these soldiers to lay their lives on the front lines, as long as it means the operation is a success. Albeit, you respect him just as much as you find him cunning.

"Getting lost in your thoughts won't do you any good, Clove. Don't look back and charge ahead," Levi interrupts your thoughts, sensing your uncertainty as clear as day. Your gaze turns to him, his eyes are fixated ahead, glancing from time to time behind him to make sure the squad and yourself are on track. You know Levi's words were meant to grab your attention and make you focus on the task at hand, but to you, they were words of consolation.

It is his way of saying that it would be okay. He's here. You'll make it back alive, together.

You nod, taking a breath of relief, letting go of the tension that is binding your back.