[16] THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS

The Gods envy us

The Gods envy us.
They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
You will never be lovelier than you are now.
We will never be here again.

achilles

You've always found yourself pondering behind the true meaning of 'forever'. Does it last an eternity? A few years? Or...just a moment? You want this happiness you feel, this peace...to last forever. You are unsure which is better — the monotony of everlasting happiness or the thrill of fleeting joy. 

It's miserable. This world is cruel. And in this seemingly unforgiving reality, you want to harbour and protect the small thread of happiness he gives you.

"What are you holding?" Levi's voice is sharp as he enters your room, placing a paper bag on your lap and seating himself on an armchair beside your bed.

Your heart flutters at his entrance and crimson adorns your cheeks, the memories from the previous night buzzing through your mind.

A heavenly sweet aroma wafts through the air — a warm buttery scent accompanied by your favourite spice that is all too familiar to you. Your stomach churns in longing for the treat you desire most. Never mind Levi, this is what gave you the most happiness.

"You brought me cinnamon buns!" You exclaim in delight.

He hums in response, "Figured you probably didn't have breakfast yet."

You smile at him, mouthing him a small 'thank you' and indulging yourself in the treat. You savour the first bite of the cinnamon bun, letting the sweetness and warmth fill you up from the inside out. As you chew, you can't help but think that this moment is perfect. It's like time has stopped, and you could stay here forever, with Levi by your side and a cinnamon bun in your hand.

"What are you holding?" He asks once again.

You reply to him with a mouth full of bread crumbs, "Oh, this," in your other hand was a toy of some sort. You were not privileged enough to experience the innocence of childhood, but holding it now brings a sense of calm that dilutes the bitterness of your past. "Hange stopped by earlier and gave it to me, said it will keep me company as I recover."

"Tch," he grumbles, "How childish."

You pout at his response. "Childish?" You frown, "The only thing childish here is your height."

"Oi," his glare is sharp and furious as he stands from his seat and makes his way towards you. He places both of his arms on either side of you, trapping you between them. You try to shuffle backward, but the confines of your bed leave you with no room to escape, leaving you vulnerable to his towering presence. Your heart flutters at his proximity and you can feel his breath on your face. "Don't get cheeky. You're lucky you're injured or I would have you clean this entire cabin by yourself."