Epilogue - What Our Future Holds

That was a rough day to say the least. Everything happened so damn fast and apparently that's just the way it had to happen to make it work. Luckily Steve knew what was happening but he couldn't tell me - everything had to be natural and my acting abilities around people aren't up to much.

HYDRA surrounded us on that overpass and had us trapped between them or falling to our deaths in rush hour traffic. Either way we'd be dead and their work complete.

Stark, it seems, had a plan for all eventualities and somehow knew that one day we'd still need him. He had a device called IVAN that worked in conjunction with EDITH. The man and his damn acronyms. IVAN was, or is, an explosive rocket system that's used only as a last ditch effort in any situation that would require such a device. Laughingly IVAN stands for 'I'm Very Angry Now' along with EDITH 'Even Dead I'm The Hero' and together they both saved and killed us.

EDITH was dispatched with The Kid, Peter, who was on strict instructions to follow the tracking device in Steve's button. Peter was giving commands to Dr Banner and some other close friends, two of which were driving trucks filled with all kinds of soft goodies you can think of because at the exact second before the missile hit we were blown off the overpass and into those trucks travelling below us; the missile hit and poof went those HYDRA agents but technically also us.

For all intent and purpose; we're dead to HYDRA.

It meant we had to leave quickly but more contacts were waiting for us and we're safely away and feel like we're in another world. Life is very different and much slower than what we were ever used too. We've changed our names and had to leave our old identities behind especially once the full reports were given and we were reported as dead, not just MIA. HYDRA stopped looking and we didn't want to ever give them a reason to start up again.

We have pet goats now, my favourite is a pygmy goat and he tends to follow us around like we're his parents. We farm and sell crops, we make moonshine that will take out even the most seasoned drinker's throat. Doesn't touch us but it tastes okay. We don't have visitors and even though it hurts, that's the way it has to be.

At least we have each other.

In time, maybe a couple of hundred years, we'll be able to move on and find somewhere new but for now we're home and it's all we need.