Chapter 21

We reached Jefferson City, and Sam drew devil's traps on the car. I'm not sure why we didn't think to do that earlier. It was honestly a really smart move. Dean packed a sack full of guns and knives, and we set off on foot. We turned a corner, and Dean faltered.

"Hey, hey." He grabbed Sam and I by our arms, pulling us back. "I think I know what Meg was trying to tell us when she said 'sunrise'." Dean nodded towards a building, an apartment building.

Sunrise Apartments.

"Son of a bitch." I cussed, as the three of us made our way towards the building. "That's actually a pretty smart move."

"Tell me about it." Dean scoffed. "I mean, if these demons can possess people, they can possess almost anybody inside. Make anybody attack us."

"Not to mention, we won't know who's possessed and who's human." Sam sighed.

"So we can't kill them." Dean squeezed his eyes shut in thought. "A goddamn building full of human shields. Real brave, those demons, real brave.

"I'll bet they know what we look like, too." I racked my brain for solutions. "Not that we're a really tough bunch to pick out in a crowd- but still. This is higher stakes than we're used to."

"All right, how the hell are we gonna get in?" Sam asked.

There was a moment of silence.

"Pull the fire alarm." Dean concluded. "Get all the civilians out."

"But then the city responds in 7 minutes."

"Well then, we've got six minutes and fifty nine seconds from the time that alarm gets pulled." I looked between the boys. "I feel like we should do that thing sports teams do before they have games and shit: 'Winchester on three' or something. I dunno, it feels right."

"Unbelievable."

Dean and I waited outside while Sam went in to trigger the alarm. We heard the alarms blaring and waited for the trucks to arrive. We waited for the firemen to unload from their trucks.

"Let's go, kiddo." Dean slung an arm around my shoulder. It never got any less weird to pretend to be in a relationship with one of my brothers, but there were worse things I had faked for our job. The two of us walked over to a nearby fireman, who looked to be relatively new to the job.

"What's going on, is it a fire?" I asked the man, pretending to nervously drum my fingers on my lower lip. "Because we have a yorkie upstairs, and he pees when he's nervous."

"You have to stay back." The fireman gently guided us away. I watched as Sam snuck behind the fireman to the truck. I glanced at Dean, and we met eyes. We did our part, it was Sam's turn.

Sam did his job, quickly waving us over to put on the firemen uniforms he had stolen from the back of the truck. The three of us quickly dressed, and headed into the evacuated building.

"Always wanted to be a fireman when I grew up." Dean commented as we walked through the building with our EMF detector.

"You never told me that." Sam said, just as our EMF detector went berserk.

"For the record, I think you'd make a great fireman." I smiled, though it was hidden through my headpiece. "As much as it scares the hell out of me, you're always the first to run into a burning building to save someone in trouble."

"Thanks, Ghostie." Dean grinned. "Back to business, we can discuss childhood career dreams later."

"This is the fire department." I stepped ahead of Dean, banging on the door. "We need you to evacuate."