Chapter Two

I felt too small for my skin as I sat in the meeting room, my hand clasped tightly around Rhys'. His thumb stroked soothing lines over the back of my palm as Rowan said, "do we even know this weapon will work?"

Aelin rolled her eyes, leaning back in her chair. I admired the way she could still remain so nonchalant even in stressful situations like this. "I guess we're just going to have to hope for the best."

"Hoping isn't an option, Aelin," Rowan replied sharply, eyeing the black jar with distrust. "We need to be sure."

"Why don't we test it," I suggested, and everyone turned to look at me. "Then we could really see if we can really trust it."

If you need a demonstration, Curse-breaker, I will be happy to comply.

Aelin glanced at me. She must've heard the voice, too. "This doesn't feel right."

Why, fireheart?

"Don't call me that," Aelin hissed. Rhys, Rowan, Cassian, Azriel, Mor and Amren watched us, confused and a little concerned.

Ah, I've found a soft spot, I see.

Aelin bared her teeth in an invisible growl.

Let me help you. Being trapped in here for so long... its agonizing. Surely you must understand how that feels, Aelin.

Aelin didn't say anything; she just glared acid at that wretched little thing.

"Wha-" Cassian opened his mouth, but I cut over him.

"You're not doing a good job of convincing us we can trust you."

You already brought me here; doesn't that show that you trust me?

I narrowed my eyes at it. "Lets try it."

~

I crossed my arms over my chest as we gathered around the little jar, which sat in the middle of the training ring. Aelin glared at it from beside me.

"Lets see," Aelin seethed, "if we really can trust you."

Go ahead, Your Majesty. I would love to assist you in any way you need.

Aelin wrinkled her nose, before lifting her palm. She sent a blast of fire towards the jar, engulfing it in flames. I felt an invisible shield fall into place around us as Aelin's fire died out, the jar just...sitting there.

Then, suddenly, the jar began to quiver. Slowly at first, barely noticeable, until it turned into a full on rattling. The lid shot off the top as golden flame burst from the mouth of the jar. It arched in the air, graceful as lightning, as deadly as an asp. From the flames arose a magnificent phoenix, so large it blocked out the sun. It let out a shrieking cry, its blazing wings flaring wide.

I gaped, stumbling backwards as heat caressed my face. The incredible bird flipped, diving straight back into the jar.

There was silence for a long time. Then...

"Well. That was interesting."

Mor stomped on Cassian's foot, and he gaped at her in shock and offense. She glared at him to shut up.

Aelin blinked rapidly. "I think that speaks for itself, then."

"What do you mean?" I asked, a little confused.

"Where I'm from, a phoenix is a good omen. It is rumored that they were the ones that gave the first fire-bringers their powers."

"So, this talking jar shows us a giant bird and you expect us to trust it?"

Aelin arched a brow. "I expect us to learn from it."