Chapter Three

Aelin watched as everyone's faces turned confused. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Feyre, you can wield fire, can't you?" Rowan asked, not unkindly.

I nodded slowly, not knowing where this was going.

"Great. That means I will have some back-up out there," Aelin said with a wink.

"I still don't get what you mean by "learn"." Cassian pointed out.

Aelin waved a hand. "That doesn't concern you."

Cassian shot her a look. "Yeah, I would still like to know what's going on though."

I couldn't catch the rest of their bickering as a bolt of pain shot through my stomach. I hunched over a little, grabbing onto Rhys's arm. He gently supported me, holding me up by my elbow.

Are you alright? He asked me through the bond.

I took a deep breath. I need to tell you something.

Whats wrong?

I squeezed my eyes shut tight. I'm... I-

Feyre?

Silence.

I'm pregnant.

I finally looked into his eyes. He was staring down at me, awe and pride and happiness and so, so much joy shining in their violet depths.

When did you find out?

Aelin told me a few days ago. She could scent it. I paused, then added, you're going to be a father.

He pressed a slow kiss to my cheek. I love you. So much.

~

Aelin and I stood around the deceiving little jar. She eyed it carefully.

I placed a hand on my hip, my previous nausea gone. "So, how are we going to learn from this?"

Aelin pressed a hand to the jar. She frowned, focusing. "I can feel it... the phoenix."

"What are you-"

Before I could finish, she had grabbed my hand and slapped it against the curved side. My head flung back, a gasp flying out of me as fire burned across my vision.

All I could see was dancing flame, pink and red and blue and gold. It was beautiful and haunting and dangerous and magnificent.

I ripped my hand back from the jar, my sight clearing. Aelin was staring intently at me. "What was that?"

"The creation of the world. All of them. It began in flames," she took a breath. "And will end in it, too."

I felt my stomach drop. "What do you mean by 'end'?"

Aelin shook her head. "I don't know. Let's just hope it doesn't mean masses of beings dying."

I stared at the floor, a hand on my stomach. Rhys and I were going to have a child together. That beautiful, dark-haired, violet-eyed boy. And we might never get to see him grow up. He might not even-

I blocked out that thought, my fingers contracting on my belly. "What can we do to prevent it?" I asked tightly, my voice thick.

Aelin face was the most serious I have ever seen it. "We train with this. It can show us how to harness our power, to make is more powerful. We can take down the Valg, but this... this can bring down the Valg King."

Ah, but there, you see, is the catch.

My breath hitched. "What catch?"

We all know both you and the witch-killer can't bring down the Valg King without a healer, nor with both your magics. I, however, can rid of him forever.

"And?" Aelin squinted at it, cocking her head.

As I stated before, I will happily offer my help to train you. But, if you want me to take down the Valg King, you must earn it.

"Earn it?" Aelin's eyebrows rose.

Indeed. Demonstrate to me that you are worthy of summoning my power. Show me that you are powerful enough to call forth my magic.

There was a pause, then Aelin snorted.

"Pompous little thing, aren't you?" She teased, jutting a hip out and crossing her arms. "Okay, we'll play your little game. But this time, I have a condition."

Anything you request, heir of fire.

"If we don't impress you with our firework display, then fine, you don't have to help us. But, you belong to me."

As you wish.

I frowned a little. "What are you doing?"

Aelin shot me a look as if to say, trust me, then said, "alright. Let's get to it.