Chapter 2

James' POV

I was awoken by the sound of footsteps outside my cell. I glanced up at my cell door to see someone walking quickly. I rubbed my eyes and shoved the covers off my body quietly. I walked towards my cell door and looked out the barred window. 

I heard the footsteps getting quieter and looked to the left. I saw the Warden walking towards the end of the hall.

Mary's cell? I thought to myself. 

I watched as the Warden opened her cell and lead her back down the hall. 

I saw her glance over at me, and quickly ducked so I wouldn't be visible. I stayed like that until I didn't hear anything but the cries of the patients around me just starting to wake up.

I took a breath and walked back over to my bed and sat down.

Where was the warden taking her. I pondered.

Time passed and I waited for the bell to open all of the cell doors letting us wander into the common room area. 

The time passed quickly and once the bell rang, time slowed. 

I followed the group of patients into the common room and scanned the room to see if Mary was here yet.

Without luck I walked over once again to the same couch I've been sitting at everyday since I got here.

After around 10 minutes I watched the large spruce door open up to reveal the warden guiding Mary inside. She looked horrible, her hair was messy and eyes puffy as though she had been crying. I hadn't even noticed right away the large red burn marks on her temples.

She saw me and it was as though she noticed me for a split second, yet walked to the other side of the room.

I followed her and sat down next to her on the floor.

"Hey where were you?" I questioned.

She looked down at me smiled and leaned back to think for a moment.

"I don't remember" Mary said truthfully.

"What do you mean you don't remember?!" I exclaimed.

"Jesus Christ what are you my father? Being a dick today are we?" She crossed her arms.

I looked at her and quickly apologized.

"Do you remember me at least?" I asked hopeful that she didn't forget our plan. God, I barely remember it from how much sleep I haven't been getting lately.

"You seem familiar, but no, I'm sorry." She said getting up.

"Damn it. I'm James." I reminded her.

"That sounds familiar, but like I said, I don't remember you I'm sorry. To be honest, James, I don't even know who I am or why I'm here. It's quite frightening sir." she said continuing to walk away.

"Your name is Mary. Mary Moore." She stopped in her tracks, "You don't have to quote me on it, that's just what you told me yesterday."

She turned around and looked at me before asking a question.

"How long have I been here? I can recall everything but who you are, where I am and who I am."

"And I'm telling you who you are. I can tell you everything, just trust me." I bargained.

"What If I don't?" She questioned.

"Then you won't know anything. You'll be stuck in a constant state of not knowing who you are or what your life was and is." 

She paused for a minute before walking close to me. 

"James, I'll try to trust you, I'll fully trust you when you can tell me who I am and where I am" She said walking away.

As I began to walk after her the bell rang for us to go back to our cells. 

How did 30 minutes pass so quickly?

I walked into my cell and felt the door close behind me. I stood there a moment before getting into my bed. What else was there to do but sleep or wait. But what would I be waiting for. 

I guess I would be waiting for Mary, what about Mary though. Why do I need her to help me escape. 

Yes she would be escaping too but why. What is the point if I can do it by myself. She doesn't need me, she doesn't even trust me. Not all the way at least.

My brain kept fighting to stay awake and figure out what to do. At some point, I woke up to the bell for the common room.

I hadn't even remembered falling asleep. 

This was the first time in a while I had gotten a good nights rest. 

How am I supposed to gain Mary's trust. I barely know anything about her. 

Whatever, I'm sure I'll find a way. Maybe she'll be working in the bakery with me tonight. 

Actually I hope she'll be working in the bakery with me tonight.