six | remembrance

this chapter contains mild hints of child abuse. please be wary if this may trigger you x

---

"Okay Mike. Where the fuck do we find our tokens?" Eddie spoke up, throwing the haircap between his hands, back and forth. 

You sat on a rock beside Beverly, after climbing out of clubhouse. You had all collectively decided that being in there was causing unnecessary pain, so you all moved to sit out on the forest floor, waiting for Mike to continue explaining what you had to do.

"Listen, with all due respect, dude, this is fucking stupid. Why do we need tokens? We already remember everything. Saving Bev, defeating It. We're caught up!" Richie asked Mike, rather harshly. 

"It's not everything. We fought. But what happened after that? Before the house on Neibolt." 

You began trying to rack your memory at his words- but nothing came up. That section of your life was like a black hole, sucking away any chance of remembrance.

"We can't remember, c-can we?" You asked softly.

"There's more to this story- our story. Something happened that summer. And those blank spaces are like pages torn out of a book, and that's what we need to find."

The whole group fell silent, and various sighs were heard around. You stole a glance at Bill, who was standing beside you and rubbing his eyes in exasperation.

"Splitting up is the only option. You each need to find your artifacts, alone. That's important. And when you do, meet me at the library, tonight."

Your blood ran cold the moment he spoke the words 'alone'. 

Not alone. Not alone. You didn't think you could handle that. Apparently the group was just as apposed as you were, because Eddie and Richie spoke up quickly.

"Yeah, no way. Looking at survival scenarios, I know for a fact we're better off as a group." Eddie accused, and Richie made a sound of agreement.

"Mhm. Splitting up would be dumb, man. We're going together. We were together that summer, right?"

"No." Bill interrupted, and you turned to look at him again. "Not th-that whole summer."

---

Why the fuck were you doing this?

Shortly after splitting up, you'd considered your best bet to be the town- there was a raging festival, and you couldn't be attacked by the clown if there were other people, right? So you slowly began making your way to the main street. You tried keeping your head down, thinking of places you could find your token. What had been important in your childhood?

But as you walked down a familiar sidewalk, your eyes were drawn to a missing poster hung up on the window of a bakery.

It was of a little girl. She had brown hair, and gorgeous chocolate eyes that were bright with youth. A rush of sorrow ran through your fingers- you knew exactly what had happened to her. 

You chose to ignore the poster, running a hand through your hair. You didn't need to freak yourself out even more then you already had.

You tried to think of places you'd gone that summer- and the first thing that came to your mind was the beach. The beach you'd always sat by when you were alone. You wondered if it had changed.

You began walking down the familiar route towards the place- but you paused when you realized what street you were walking down. 

At this point, the festivities were way behind you- you'd walked down an alleyway, ignoring the looks from the older men looming inside, and when you came out the other end you'd been on a familiar street with houses on either side of the road. It was quiet, empty- almost alienated.