49 - The Right Thing

Thank you for sharing your opinions about a spin-off with Phantom! I'd never thought to hear so many positive voices, so I'll work on that in the future (: 

. . . 

Phantom had no idea how Raine could have done this for such a long time. It was only the second time he was about to meet Juice and he already felt the urge to look over his shoulder the whole time to make sure no one was following him. 

They agreed to meet in a small bar in a nearby town. A sharp cigarette smell invaded his nostrils as he stepped into the room. He was used to the smell since he practically lived in the clubhouse and the fact that the whole room was clouded in smoke was proof of very poor ventilation. He walked further and was relieved to see Juice sitting in a corner. The corners of his mouth curled upwards. The guy looked much better than the last time Phantom had seen him. His skin wasn't dull anymore and although the bags under his eyes were still there, his look wasn't so lifeless as before. He already had suspected Raine and Juice to have talked things out. His brother still looked unhappy, but he was no longer as tight as a drum and the bruises on his face were slowly fading. 

"Hey." Phantom sat down across from Juice. There was a pit in his stomach. He had to admit that he enjoyed seeing the guy again, but he knew very well they weren't here to have a fun night. 

Juice showed him a tired smile. "Thank you for coming."

Phantom nodded. He took a coaster in his hands and toyed with it while looking at Juice, who seemed to be searching for words. "You and Raine talked, didn't you?"

Raine hadn't been at Esai's throat yet, so Phantom assumed that Juice had been true to his words. 

"We did." A small smile tugged at Juice's lips. It was a sharp contrast to the dazzling smile he would have expected after their reunion. The Son sighed as their eyes met. "I don't know how long I can keep the truth to myself. Seeing how much he hates himself hurts. Even when I tell him I forgive him, he won't forgive himself. He deserves to know the truth, Phantom."

Phantom bit his cheek. Of course he deserved the truth. He also wanted Raine to know what Esai had done, but it didn't take away his own fear.

"I get it," he said softly. In Juice's eyes, Raine's wellbeing was more important than Phantom's. He would find it shitty that they would rip off his patch and kick him on the streets, but after all, Phantom was just a guy he knew. 

The seat cracked as Juice bent forward, his elbows leaning on the tabletop. Juice held his glance. "I won't let you down, Phantom."

The words touched his heart. Phantom had been on his own for a long time. For nine years. The brown eyes that looked so friendly but determined at him, reminded Phantom of him. A lump appeared in his throat and he averted his eyes. The old grief fighting its way to the surface overwhelmed him and he pushed it away. It's been nine years, Phantom. Don't whine about something that happened nine fucking years ago. 

He took a deep breath. The lump in his throat shrunk and he could bear the look in Juice's eyes again. "Thanks," he said. "Does that mean that you uh, have a plan?"

"I'm working on it. Lemme get you a beer first. After all, you're here because of me." The man showed him a crooked smile, got up and headed to the bar. Phantom followed him with his eyes. His shoulder and back muscles stood out as he leaned on the bar and although Juice was wearing baggy jeans, he clearly had a nice ass. 

A bit ashamed he turned his face away. 

He wasn't used to thoughts like that. For years he cut them off; his whole life he'd spent around people who would never accept his sexuality. Although the Mayans treated Juice and Raine harshly, the couple still had found something Phantom didn't even dare to hope for. Maybe it was also a reason why he wanted to help them so badly. If people would consider their relationship as normal, he would have a chance at a relationship too, right? Then he no longer needed to hide this part of him. Either way, Raine and Juice made it easier for him to accept his feelings and longings since it convinced him that he wasn't the only one who didn't comply with the stereotype gay guy that was so often pictured in the media. 

Juice shoved a beer towards him and took a seat. "So, I was thinking... What about that girl who woke up next to Raine? She also knows the truth. Can we put pressure on her?"

Phantom sighed. He'd thought about that too. "It won't be easy to pressure her, I'm sure she runs to Esai immediately. Let's be honest, as a prospect I'm not exactly terrifying."

"And if she slips up? After drinking too much or being drugged herself?"

Phantom ran a hand across his face. He was afraid that Esai would see through immediately. Even when she would slip up without his help, he was convinced that the man would blame him. "I don't like to drug people," he muttered. That would make him no different than Esai. He gathered his courage. Maybe Juice should just tell Raine. Phantom could disappear and cover his tracks. The others sucked with computers anyway, they wouldn't find him. He could start over, it wasn't like he had a lot to lose. Sure, it would be hard to find a job with a criminal record, but he knew his way around the fringes of society. Maybe he'd been too optimistic thinking that he could break free from his past. After all, he had once again ended up with an organization that was in the drug business. He had always been the dirt of the streets and maybe it was time to accept that it would never change. Quickly earning a shitload of money to step away from his old life... it was simply impossible. There would always be a stain on him. 

"Did you consider telling it to your sponsor? For it was an action by Esai, right? Not a club decision?"

"I don't know," Phantom answered, supporting his chin with his fist. "I'm just a prospect, I'm not invited to their meetings. Maybe it was a club decision to end your relationship."

Juice clenched his jaw. For a moment he stared at his glass before he continued: "Or maybe, Esai just wants you to think it was a club decision. There's no harm in asking your sponsor, right? You can tell him what Esai has done... and that it doesn't sit right with you that he drugged his brother. If it turns out to be a club decision you have to accept it. But if it was just Esai..." Juice shrugged. "Your sponsor is there to answer whatever questions you have."

Juice had a point. It might have been a one-man action. 

Phantom sighed. "In my case it won't work. Esai is my sponsor."

Juice widened his eyes. "Seriously? Of all people, it's your confidant who threatens you?"

Quietly nodding, he took a sip of his beer. It tasted awful. 

"He's misusing his position," Juice growled. "Maybe you should present the problem to Marcus. Raine told me he's like family."

The idea made Phantom nervous. He had never been alone with his President and now he had to accuse his son of drugging another member? 

"That way, you will keep your word to Esai," Juice insisted. "You can simply tell Marcus that it felt wrong when Esai ordered you to undress an unconscious member to let him believe he's a cheater and that you don't like this way of treating each other. Soon, you'll have to decide if you want the club symbol tattooed on your skin. You have every right to share your doubts. I'm sure he will appreciate your honesty. And if it really was a club decision, well then you have to live with it and I'll have to find another way to give Raine his confidence back."

Phantom heaved another deep sigh. 

Did he have a choice, except for sticking his head in the sand? 

He'd already done that and it gave him no peace of mind. 

"Okay then," he agreed. "I'll talk to Marcus."

He just hoped the man would believe him. The word of a prospect against that of the President's son and his successor... He didn't hold out much hope for himself. 

Nevertheless, it felt like the right thing to do.

___

If you enjoyed this chapter and you want to support me as a writer, it would mean the world to me if you'd leave a comment, vote and follow my profile ♥