Chapter 9. The Talk

Chapter 9. The Talk

“Alena what emotion are you feeling? Your face looks different,” Tahti asked as she kept up with me effortlessly down the hallway. The two other aliens, Jorge and Gina were a few feet behind us. Probably to give us privacy. Ha! I wish.

“Alena,” Tahti repeated when I didn’t reply.

I continued walking without glancing at her. How dare she do that to me? Not only did she openly declare that she had a lesbian crush on me, everyone would also think that I was fooling Niko behind his back. Now I’d come off as a freak and a player. Damn you alien girl.

Tahti glanced behind her shoulder to the two. “Do you girls know why Tahti is being. . . Difficult?” she asked.

“Oh yes holiness,” Gina said earnestly. “It said in the books that when girls are difficult in this planet, they are menopausal. The first sign is the body warmth. Then, they will be unpredictable and are prone to outburst.”

 “I’m not menopausal,” I snapped, halting. Facing Tahti for the first time since the lunchtime bell rang, I said, “I’m not even done being a teenager. How can I already be menopausal?”

“You were right about the outburst,” Jorge snickered beside Gina.

Tahti raised a hand. “Silence.” The snickers from Jorge stopped. Tahti tried reaching out to me, but I took a step back. “Alena, did I do something wrong?” She had this puzzled look on her face. The orange in her eyes were beginning to show to me. At the back of my mind, I wondered if I was the only one who could see it.

The thought couldn’t keep my irritation away though. “Tahti,” I said in a low voice. The alien could hear me anyway. “Do you realize what you have done?”

“Yes,” she said with a nod. “In the books I read, what I have done is called a confession. It should have been accompanied with chocolates and other things, but since I didn’t have the opportunity, I was empty handed. Also. . . “ she trailed. “They said that when you confess to a person, you should get an immediate reply. What is your reply Alena?”

“Don’t be cute with me. This is not funny at all,” I huffed.

Tahti’s brows furrowed. Her eyes went to the two aliens. “What is cute?”

Jorge immediately grabbed a smartphone from her pocket and typed something. Where did the alien get that? “Cute,” she said after ten seconds. “According to the human dictionary, they classify it as endearing.” I face palmed myself, making the four boys passing by stare at as curiously. Great! Just great! Before senior year was over, I’d be the subject of total humiliation.

“And is cute good?” Tahti asked.

Jorge nodded, her eyes fixed on the phone. “Yes. It signifies sexual attraction.” Jorge pushed the sleep button on her mobile and tucked it safely back to her pocket. “In human terms, Alena has the hots for you.”