twelve

[

[ . . . ]

HEESEUNG LOOKED DOWN AT HER. She had dressed up for once; he wasn't sure why, but she looked beautiful. His original plan was to go there alone, get some time for himself. But he came to realise that bringing Jiyeon there would be for the better. Heeseung despised being alone, it made his skin crawl.

Looking at her, he could tell that she was a lovely girl. Sure, her humour wasn't exactly like his, but it was part of her charm and she enjoyed it. He was sure there was someone deep inside of her, someone who didn't want to slit their own throat every other second.

Heeseung needed to get to that part before it took over.

'It's my first time being on a plane,' Jiyeon admitted as they walked into the airport.

As she looked around the place, she almost found herself marvelling at the size. Incheon airport was colossal, and it sparked a new feeling inside Jiyeon. Never once in her life had she felt so tiny before.

'Really?' Heeseung asked, glancing at her through a layer of surprise.

'Yup,' Jiyeon replied, popping the p.

Turning around, she took hold of Heeseung's left hand and looked at him with a bright smile.

'Hopefully, the plane crashes ━ if it does then I'll pray to God to bring you into heaven with me.'

That sentence might've not meant a lot to anyone else, but to Jiyeon it meant a lot. Never once had she prayed for anyone else. The only times she prayed were when her blood was staining her bathroom and she was on the verge of shattering into a thousand pieces.

Heeseung gave her a thankful smile.

Her demeanour was different. Her eyes still held the same tiredness, but the smile and the way she acted mirrored the acts of excitement.

Truth be told, Jiyeon was excited. She had never travelled in her life and that was something she wanted to experience before she died. When she was dead she could fly over the heavens but the heavens were not the same as Earth.

It was the people who made it ugly.

'How long will the flight take?'

'Only an hour,' Heeseung answered. 'Try to get some rest.'

'I can't even fall asleep in my apartment, what makes you think I can fall asleep here?'

Heeseung shrugged, 'different environment.'

Jiyeon snorted before squirming a bit in her seat, trying to find a comfortable position.

Heeseung rolled his eyes at her and placed his hand on the top of her head, tilting it so it was resting against his shoulder.

'Okay then━'

Jiyeon let herself relax against Heeseung, her eyes were trained on the clouds on the outside. Being on a plane made her stomach tingle. It might've been the excitement of flying. Or perhaps it was because her hand was laced with Heeseung's and his thumb was drawing small circles on her palm.

She imagined what it would feel like to fly in the clouds.

And so she closed her eyes and thought about ways to reach her dream. 

[ . . . ]