twenty

[

[ . . . ]

LONELY.

That's what Jiyeon felt as she sat there on the hospital bed. She was sure she was in a hospital, although she did not know where.

Her head snapped towards the door. Slowly, a nurse walked inside, a friendly smile on her face.

An odd feeling crept inside of her chest. Jiyeon had a hard time grasping her surroundings. She knew where she was; she knew the difference between present, past and future, and somehow it felt like she was not there. Almost like she was watching herself through a screen. There was no realness in the things she did ━ almost like she was dreaming.

'Can you tell me your name?' The nurse asked, a notepad in her hands.

Smiling, Jiyeon nodded and opened her mouth to answer. No sounds left her lips, her mind blank. What was her name?

Clearing her throat, Jiyeon tried again, looking deep into her mind, trying to search for any traces of her name. Empty, it was all empty. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Why couldn't she remember her name? Did she not know who she was? Everyone knew their own name, didn't they? So why couldn't she?

The questions swirled around her mind. The nurse had taken notice of her quietness, smiling calmly at her.

'It's okay. Your name will come back to you soon.'

Instead of answering, a question brushed past her lips. 'What happened to me?' she asked.

'You hit your head pretty hard, suffered a severe concussion. You might never even remember what happened for your brain could've ignored those memories,' the nurse explained.

'Ignored them?' Jiyeon asked, tilting her head in confusion.

'Your brain stores memories. Sometimes it chooses not to store something you experienced, thus you won't remember it.'

'Oh. . .' Jiyeon trailed off, not entirely sure how she was supposed to react to that.

'Get some rest,' the nurse told her, patting her shoulder twice. 'We'll see if things have improved by tomorrow.'

[ . . . ]