7

"so, uh..." kuroo spoke, though he had no words to actually say, nobody did. all they could do is stare at the view in front of them. it was unexpected for sure, something that had never happened before - but by the look on daichi's face, they could see how important this was to him. "what now?", he whispered.

"you tell me" asahi whispered back, rubbing his temples with his fingers.

the units were back at base, it was quite hectic at first, but now things had settled down. the hallways and spaces were empty, the personnel that had no further work were allowed to go home to their loved ones and the comforts of their own spaces. bokuto had locked himself in with the remaining live targets, getting every single ounce of information from them, while kenma was still working on the encryption.

the office spaces and the lounge that they found themselves in were quiet, serene almost. from this distance, you could no longer hear the noises coming from deep within the town, where the building had crumbled by now. matsukawa sought revenge and it was obvious with the way that he set the building on fire first, letting everything burn and then... six massive explosions, most of them situated by the support of the building, letting it all go down.

though, the biggest issue, at least from some of their point of view, was now in front of them. four children, all boys, sleeping calmly on the sofa in the lounge. they were all cuddled together, the bigger boys protected them from both sides, holding onto each other tightly as to not be separated. daichi looked at them with sadness and agony in his eyes, remembering his own experiences just by looking at them.

they don't deserve this. they are kids. sweet boys. how could and why would anyone even take them away? were they kidnapped from their loving families? how do the parents feel? have they forgotten their past? and how long have they been living in that small room with little to no comfort? it was hard to tell.

the moment they were put in daichi's warm car, it was as if though they relaxed, and as interested as they were in the outside world, the warmth of the car and the radio playing quietly soothed them into sleep. and now they were here, at the home base, the front of the organization.

"what are you going to do?" hanamaki asked as he approached daichi, trying to read his facial expression but to no avail. there was a mixture of feelings both positive and negative.

"good question..." he answered. he rescued them, but what now?

"i could take one? i guess? for a day or two? kenma wouldn't mind too much, i think" kuroo said as he took out his phone, typing a message to kenma who was somewhere in the building, working on deciphering the codes.

"yeah, same here. though, our apartment contains a lot of bad things" hanamaki agreed. "mattsun would not be happy, but he has no choice"

"i wanna say i could take one, but my penthouse is too dangerous for a child. perhaps i could scour through the apartments that the organization owns, maybe we could put them in one?" asahi wondered, he did want the best for them, but his living space was not suited for children, especially not with nishinoya already being rabid and running the place.

"wouldn't that be the same as what they already had? alone in a place?" kuroo wondered, still waiting for a reply from kenma. " i don't know... this is complicated..."

"i took them. they are my responsibility. i will take them, plus, i wouldn't want them separated" daichi finally said, making everyone turn to him. "i have some things in mind..."

"boss!" suddenly a voice echoed through the corridors. a somewhat short form approached them quickly, a phone in hand and out of breath. kenma had clearly read kuroo's message and rushed to see what exactly was going on.