𝟎𝟖 | 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

C O N S T E L L A T I O N

A constellation is a group of stars that appears to form a pattern or picture like Orion the Great Hunter, Leo the Lion, or Taurus the Bull. Constellations are easily recognizable patterns that help people orient themselves using the night sky.

T O T H E
M O O N & B A C K

I WALKED OUT of the house where the party was being held. It was late now, awfully late, and I was ready to go home. Parties are great, sometimes, don't get me wrong, but after hours—sometimes days—of continuous so-called partying, it gets old.

I fucked Pandora, but halfway, the high wore off, and she kept saying all that lovey-dovey shit and I couldn't finish. Then the fucking name-calling started and she ended up slapping me and crying and throwing her fucking hands around hitting me. . .and then I did what I always do. I walked away. I left. It seems to be one of the few things that I'm good at. Leaving.

I stumbled out the front door. Thank fuck, I think to myself as the brisk air hits my face and my exposed chest. I didn't think about grabbing my jumper, thought maybe I'd be somewhat considerate and leave it behind seeing as she left hers on the kitchen floor.

As I place some crappy joint that some kid rolled me at the party between my lips, I use my left hand to shield it from the wind, flicking my lighter as the orange flame lights the twirled end of my joint.

I inhale deeply, pulling the joint from my lips as I gaze up at the star littered sky, holding it in for a few seconds. One, two, three. And then I exhale. That is what pure relief feels like.

I exhale, blowing out a thick cloud of smoke before walking down the front yard, stopping when I see a familiar girl hauling who I am assuming to be her friend into an Uber. The blonde girl was a laughing mess but she looked ill, meanwhile, Aurora remained calm and got her into the car.

Seconds later the car takes off and she is left on the side of the street, her back to me as she pants, running a hand through her hair.

She stands there for a few minutes and in that time, I smoke the majority of my joint. She sits down on the edge of the footpath, hugging her knees to her chest and I wonder what it is that she's doing. Maybe she's waiting for someone? But then why didn't she leave with her friend? Actually, I don't fucking care.

For a few seconds, I contemplate leaving or going over and considering I have no fucking idea where the hell I parked my car; I may as well go talk to her, I have nothing better to do; besides, Rion is not winning, I refuse to let that happen.

My footsteps are unintentionally loud as I make my way over to her and sit down. She doesn't even notice me until I'm sitting down next to her and she gasps. It is then that I notice what she is doing. She's smoking, but not a joint, a cigarette.

"Fucking hell," her tone portrays shock but her face portrays no emotion. "don't scare me like that."

I don't bother to apologize, mainly because I'm just simply not fucking sorry, and then I hold out my joint to her, and simultaneously, she repeats the same action with her cigarette and I snort, as does she. "I'm good." I tell her and she nods, shaking her head.

"What do you want, Westbrook?" she dares to ask. "And don't bullshit. You did fine ignoring my existence up until now."

I turn to face her with a serious expression. "I didn't know you until now."

She turns to offer me a look that screams are you fucking kidding? "You don't remember me?" well obviously fucking not. "When I was in year ten, you were in year thirteen."