Chapter 3

Percy was in the great hall while Hermione was hitting him with a one thousand magical herbs and fungi and scolding him for leaving Harry alone.

"Hermione, I know I made the mistake but please turn around," Percy said pointing his index finger out. It was Harry, but in his muggle clothes and his face was covered in blood.

"He's covered in blood again,"  Percy said. "Why is it he's always covered in blood."

"Look's like it's his own this time," Hermione said.

"Where've you — blimey, what've you done to your face?" said Ron, goggling at him along witheveryone else in the vicinity.

"Why, what's wrong with it?" said Harry, grabbing a spoon and squinting at his distortedreflection.

"You're covered in blood!" said Hermione. "Come here —"

She raised her wand, said "Tergeo!" and siphoned off the dried blood.

"Thanks," said Harry, feeling his now clean face. "How's my nose looking?

Normal," said Hermoine anxiously.

"Harry, what in Merlin's beard happened?" Percy asked.

"I'll tell you later," said Harry curtly since Ginny, Neville, Dean, andSeamus was listening in; even Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost, had come floating alongthe bench to eavesdrop.

"But —" said Hermione.

"Not now, Hermione," said Harry, in a darkly significant voice. He reached across Ron for a couple of chicken legs and a handful of chips, but before he couldtake them they vanished, to be replaced with puddings.

"You missed the Sorting, anyway," said Hermione, as Ron dived for a large chocolate gateau.

"Hat say anything interesting?" asked Harry, taking a piece of treacle tart.

"More of the same, really...advising us all to unite in the face enemies, you know," said Percy as he took a bite of his now charmed blue jelly doughnut.

"Dumbledore mentioned Voldemort at all?"

"Not yet, but he always saves his proper speech for after the feast doesn't he? It can't belongnow."

"Snape said Hagrid was late for the feast —"

"You've seen Snape? How come?" said Ron between frenzied mouthfuls of gateau.

"Bumped into him," said Harry evasively.

"Hagrid was only a few minutes late," said Hermione. "Look, he's waving at you, Harry."

Hagrid was at the staff table and was waving at him. Percy turned to the Slytherin table where Draco Malfoy was miming  the shattering of a nose to raucous laughter andapplause

"So what did Professor Slughorn want?" Hermione asked.

"To know what really happened at the Ministry," said Harry.

"Him and everyone else here," sniffed Hermione. "People were interrogating us about it on thetrain, weren't they, Ron?"

"Yeah," said Ron. "All wanting to know if you really are 'the Chosen One' —"

"There has been much talk on that very subject even amongst the ghosts," interrupted NearlyHeadless Nick, inclining his barely connected head toward Harry so that it wobbled dangerously onits ruff. "I am considered something of a Potter authority; it is widely known that we are friendly. Ihave assured the spirit community that I will not pester you for information, however. 'Harry Potterknows that he can confide in me with complete confidence,' I told them. 'I would rather die thanbetray his trust.'"