Chapter 7: The Oozma Kappa Brother-Hood

~(y/n) POV~

¨This is a fraternity house?¨ We were outside a normal-looking house when Sullivan asked that question. Before any of us could talk, the door opened to an old and cheerful man. ¨Hey there, teamateys! Come on aboard!¨ he said as we walked inside. ¨As the president of Oozma Kappa it is my honor to welcome you to your new home.¨ There we stood in a normal living room with two other monsters who looked kinda nervous to see us. ¨We call this room Party Central,¨the younger one said with a nervous smile. ¨Technically, we haven't had a party here yet,¨ the monster that had two heads, the one with two horns, said. ¨But when we do, we'll be ready!¨ said the one with one horn. He pushed a button and then a disco ball fell.

After we all settled down either standing or sitting on a chair or the couch, the old man came back with some hot cocoa. ¨Whoo! The hot cocoa train is coming through! Next stop, you!¨ he said as he gave everyone a cup of hot cocoa. ¨I would like to start us off first by-,¨ Mike started but was interrupted by Sullivan. ¨So, you guys are scaring majors?¨ he said as he took a cup. ¨Haha, we were. None of us lasted very long, I guess we just weren't what old Hardscrabble was looking for. Don Carlton, a mature student. Thirty years in the textile industry and then old dandy Don got downsized. Figure I could just throw myself a pity party and go back to school and learn the computers,¨ Don said as he gave Sullivan a card and sat down on a chair.

¨Hello, I'm Terry with a Y,¨ the Terry with the two horns said. ¨And I'm Terri with an I! I'm a dance major,¨ Terri with one horn said with a goofy smile. ¨And I'm not,¨ Terry said as his smile dropped instantly. Terri started to dance, but Terry stopped him. They soon got into an argument as Mike sat there awkwardly while Sullivan and I stood there awkwardly. They soon walked away somewhere before another monster came downstairs.

¨Hey, hey, hey! I'm Art, New Age Philosophy major. Excited to live with you and laugh with you," Art said. ¨And cry with you...thought you might like to keep a dream journal!¨ He threw two notebooks to Mike and Sullivan and handed me one. Mine had red and orange glitter glue on it with my name on it as well as drawings of flames. The notebook itself was a Phoenix. I looked at Art and thanked him.

¨Guess that leaves me,¨ the younger said behind Sullivan which made him jump. ¨My name's Scott Squibbles my friends call me Squishy. I'm undeclared, unattached, and...unwelcome pretty much everywhere else but here.¨ ¨Well now that we've all been introduced, as captain of our team-!¨ Mike started but was again interrupted by Sullivan.

¨So, basically, you guys have no Scaring experience?¨ he asked as Squishy got up from his seat. ¨Not a lot, but now we've got you two!¨ Squishy said pointing at both Sullivan and me. ¨You're about the scariest fella I ever saw, even with them pink polka dots,¨ Don said as he got up as well. ¨Aw thanks,¨ Sullivan said. ¨Well, actually I think I bring the whole package,¨ Mike said as he bumped in. ¨Your hands are as big as my face!¨ Squishy said as he put Sullivan's hand over his face. ¨He's like a mountain with fur!¨ Terri said. Oh, come on. I don't even work out,¨ Sullivan said with a shrug and smile. ¨Yep, me neither. I don't wanna get too big,¨ Art said.

¨Let's not forget Miss (l/n) over here,¨ Don said pointing to me. I just shyly smile. ¨Just by looking at you, you must be pretty scary when you're mad.¨ ¨Well, that is true,¨ I say with a shrug. ¨You could easily set a wildfire just by a light touch!¨ Terri said with a big smile. ¨These are true, I may have done that once or twice before,¨ I say with a goofy smile.

¨And we thought our dreams were over, but Mike said if we win, they're letting us in the Scaring Program,¨ Don said with a smile. The whole room, except for Sullivan, Mike, and I, got excited. ¨We're gonna be real scarers!¨ Terri said. ¨The best!¨

¨You betcha!¨

¨Yeah, right,¨ Sullivan said as he looked at Mike with a ¨really¨ look. After that, Don showed us where we will be sleeping, and Sullivan and Mike will be sleeping on the bunk beds. I chose to sleep on the couch. I didn't really want to take anybody else's bed, since there were no more beds. As soon as I lay down, the lights turn off. I get up to flick the light switch, but nothing works. Yep, the power's out. I hear Mike and Sullivan walking down the steps. ¨Guys? Anybody home?¨ Mike asked. Just then, a door to the basement opened up with a creak and orange and reddish light inside. We all walked down into the basement, a little freaked out.

¨Uh, h-hello? Fellas?¨ Mike asked again but still no answer. We saw a candle stand with three candles lit. We stopped in front of and suddenly hear the voice of Don. ¨Do you pledge your souls to the Oozma Kappa Brotherhood?¨ he asked as he raised his head. He wore a black cloak. I hear a smacking sound and Mike yells ¨ow¨. I see that it was Terry and Terri who did it. Art was already standing there. They too were wearing black cloaks. ¨Do you swear that you'll keep secret-,¨Terry said before Terri finished his sentence. ¨-All that you learn here?¨ I noticed that Terri was holding a wooden plank that said 'OK'.

¨No matter how horrifying?¨ Art said with his hands together. I hear Sullivan yelp in pain. We turn around and see Squishy in a black cloak holding another wooden plank and a book. 'What is it with black cloaks?' I thought to myself. ¨Will you take the sacred oath of the-,¨ Squishy started but was interrupted by the lights coming on making us all squint from the brightness. We suddenly hear a female voice.

¨Sweetie! Turn the lights on while you're down here, you're going to ruin your eyes!¨ she said as she put down a laundry basket. Squishy turned around and looked at her. ¨Mom! We're doing an initiation!¨ Squishy exclaimed. ¨Oh, scary. Well, carry on, just pretend that I'm not here,¨ she said as she picked up the basket and turned the lights off, except the laundry light, and walked down the steps to the washing and drying machine. Squishy turned around and looked at us with a nervous look. ¨This is my mom's house,¨ Mike, Sullivan, and I looked at each other awkwardly.

¨Do you promise to look out for your brothers...¨ He was struggling to continue since his mother was making noise with the washing machine. ¨No matter what the peril? W-will you defend Oozma Kappa no matter how dangerous? No matter how insurmountable the odds may be!? From evil both great and small!? In the face of unending pain and...OH, forget it! You're in!¨ Squishy yelled over the loud noise, but gave up at the end and took off his cloak's hood.

¨Look, we know we're no one's first choice for a fraternity. So, it means a lot to have you here with us,¨ Don said as he put a hand on Mike's shoulder. "Can't wait to start scaring with you, brothers¨ Squishy said as he handed three hats which Mike and I gladly took. Sullivan huffed and grabbed and put it on. Everyone celebrates. Terry and Terri hit the back of my wings, so by reflex, I burned the plank and it turns to ashes instantly. The whole basement becomes nervous about me as I apologize.

¨Time for a celebration! Grab the couch cushions, gentlemen, because we're building a fort!¨ Squishy said he and the rest ran upstairs. I shrug and smile at the idea of a pillow fort, so I walk up the stairs as well leaving Mike and Sullivan confused and awkward.

¨MOM! CAN WE STAY UP LATE TONIGHT!?¨