Chapter 3

Jacks POV

I hated waking up in the morning, but I knew Jo probably wouldn't want to get ready in a sea of rowdy boys. I rubbed my eyes trying to wipe away the sleep hoping off my bunk I headed towards Jo's bunk to wake her. I wasn't sure how she felt about touching, so I just whisper in her ear for her to wake up.

"Hmmm" she mumbled

"Come Jo youse gotta get ready to be a newsie, and Ise sure ya don't wanna get ready with all dese boys around," I whispered back.

"Ok fine," she pretended to be irritated, "I'll get up on one condition,"

"Name it," I said with my game face on.

"IIIIII wanna piggy back ride to da bathroom," she teased

"Deal." I gave her a sly look.

I picked her up and tossed her over my shoulder. Running around the room pretending to be a bird in the sky. Her giggles made some of the other boys wake up and watch in amusement. Specs was watching and smiling, Race was telling Jack to pass her around, Skittery started laughing when she squealed because Jack almost dropped her. One by one each of the boy woke up to watch the show. For most of the boys this was the best wakeup call they had ever had, and they could tell that Jo was going to brighten up this place and make feel like a home.

"Well so much for gettin up before da boys ta get ready" Jo laughed.

"Well, youse should get used ta it cause Ise wanna be woken up likes dat ev'ry morning." Skittery teased.

"Well, I'll try my best Skit," she said as she pondered the idea.

This statement sent a roar through the room with every newsie cheering. This made Jo turn red as she swiftly headed towards the bathroom.

Jo's POV

As I walked into the bathroom, I averted my eyes away from the boys, but in doing so I ran into a shirtless, very buff Mush.

"Oh uhh, Ise sorry Ms. Jo," he stuttered.

"Ise fine Mush, don't worry bout it, afta all Ise gonna be livin wit ya," I didn't want to sound too bothered, it was probably gonna happen again so might as well get used to it.

I made my way to a stall in the back corner of the bathroom, weaving through boys from ages 7 to 18. Once I locked the stall, I quickly began to undress from a night shirt I had borrowed and changed into a white button up, brown pants and black suspenders.

"Jo hurry up wese still gotta do ya hair!!" Jack yelled from the other side of the stall door.

"AYYE Jack youse tryin to bust me eardrum? Ise right here, not Queens!!" this earned a few chuckles from a few of the boys.

He chuckled, "Alright Alright," he surrendered puttin his hands in the air. "But Ise serious wese still gotta make ya look like a boy, and that mean wese puttin up dat long brown hair of youse."

"Ok I'll put it up but ISE gonna do it not any of youse." I emphasized.

Once everyone was ready, we left the Lodging House and headed towards the Nuns to a stale cold breakfast. On the way to the distribution center, I rode on Mush's back. He was as strong as he looked, he carried me the whole way while still running and swinging on poles. Once we reached the gates, Jack paid for him and I, getting 100 papes for himself and 50 for me.

"Alright now, ya gotta learn to sell papes and Ise gonna teach ya. Youse got 50 papes so let's not waste me money. All ya gotta do is yell da headlines." I could tell there was a catch, there was a small glint in his eye that told me there was more to the story.

"Extra Extra, Strange Trash Found Around Homes: Why is it Happening?" I screamed holding up my papes waiting to sell one. Everyone was just passing by; they had stopped to hear the headline, but kept going once I was done. Had I done something wrong?

"Hahaha ya know its real funny watchin da foist timers try ta sell, Ise gotta tell ya dat was a horrible headline, you gotta spice it up a lil. Watch and loin." He said as he started to shout,

"Extra, Extra!! Trash found around Homes Riddled with Disease; Find Treatment Here!" 7 ladies and 3 fathers came up with worried looks on their faces to buy papes from Jack.

"Ok Jackie, Ise could do dat, watch and loin." I smirked "Extra Extra 3 Children Pulled out of House Fire by Family Dog!" 4 men, 3 teens, and 3 old ladies came to buy a pape from me.

"WOW wherdya loin ta sell like dat??" Jack said with a stunned look on his face.

"Only from da best Jackie, Only from da best." I gave him a wink and started to walk away to sell the rest of my papes. The next hour was fast selling, I was down to my last pape. I headed back to the lodging house to change back into a dress and explore New York.

None of the other boys were back yet so I changed in the middle of the room. I pulled my hair out of my hat. I put it into a half up half down style and grabbed my lace up boots. I wasn't sure where I was going but I just kept walking. I found this awesome bookshop and grabbed Tuck Everlasting. I kept walking till I reached the Brooklyn Bridge. I had never seen it before; it was huge and quite beautiful. I had also never been to Brooklyn, so I decided it was time to check it out.

Crossing the bridge was a long walk with a wonderful view. I felt like a flower in the midst of a huge sea of metal.