Chapter 10

Spots POV

She came to my turf in the middle of the night, made me blush, and is probably going to get me soaked by Jack. What is wrong with me, I'm not supposed to let people get to me, I'm the King of Brooklyn. But she really was something, she soaked one of my best newsie with no problem. She was nothing like the girl I met a year ago. I thought I liked the girl from a year ago, but this girl is strong and nothing like the rest of these prissy city girls.

I picked her up over my shoulder and started walking towards my throne, the plan was to throw her into the water and jump in after her. I started climbing up when something wasn't right, she was breathing heavily.

"Jo, Josie," I panicked, "What's wrong, are youse ok?" I started to climb back down, jumping the last few feet I sat her in my lap and rocked her. She wasn't calming down, her eyes were darting around and she was screaming, she even punched me a few times. I had to do something...

So, I kissed her.

She stopped thrashing, she stopped screaming, she closed her eyes and kissed back. Her whole body relaxed in my arms. When she pulled away, she examined my face before sighing in recognition and saying,

"Spot," a tear rolled down her cheek as she started apologizing.

"There aint nothin to apologize for youse did nothin wrong. Youse don't gotta tell mese, but what happened?" I said with sympathy.

"Youse remember what happened las time Ise went up dere," she looked down in embarrassment.

I should've remembered, I too looked down unable to hold her teared gaze. She didnt deserve to be put through this and she needed to know that.

"Look at me," I lifted her chin up " Ise wont eva let that happen to youse again, not in Brooklyn. If youse ever need ta run somewhere youse come here. If youse get stopped by one of me boys tell em ta take you ta me and if they dont Spot'll soak em." I finished firmly.

A small smile crept onto her lips. She curled up into my lap again.

"Spot?"

"Mhm"

"Thank youse," I smile snuck onto my lips as I let her fall into a calm sleep. Once she was dead asleep, I carefully picked her up and started to walk back to Hatten. It wasn't too bad of a walk, she kept me nice and warm as I reached the lodging house. I really didn't want to just leave her so I took her to the roof, creeping quietly past the boy's window.

Once we were on the roof, I gently nudged her awake.

"Josie, Josie," I whispered

She rolled right off of my lap and onto the concrete rooftop with a thoump. I chuckled when she groaned and sat back up. She stared at me blankly before engulfing me into a huge hug and snuggling up close again while she drew circles on my chest. Suddenly there was a noise coming from the fire escape. I gave her a soft kiss before disappearing into the shadows not too far away in case it wasn't Jack.

But sadly it was, which meant she was going to be put to bed by her warden before she could "get herself into trouble".

Jo's POV

"Jo what ya doing out here, did ya go to Brooklyn!?" Jacks voice went from calm to angry.

I huffed in annoyance and said, "No Jack Ise didnt go ta Brooklyn,"

"Good. So why ya up here in the middle of the night?"

"Cause Ise couldn't sleep," I said smiling out of the view of Jack. I really just had a pretty exciting night and I didn't want it interrupted by Jack Kelly of all people.

"Well you should come in soon, wese striking tomorrow and ya need to be well rested if Brooklyn aint gonna be ther-" I cut him off before he could say anymore.

"Whadaya mean, Brooklyn aint gonna be there?" I inquired

"Jeez Jo dontya listen to anything that happens, Spot said he wasn't going to help us till wese proved ourselves."

Did he really? God Im going to talk to him, he might listen to me. Jack will just have to wait, I need to talk to him again before I go to sleep, but how do I know hes still there?

"Jack, Ill be inside in a minute, go back ta bed ya scab." I waved him off. Luckily it worked.

I sat back down on the roof and hoped he would show up. After about 30 seconds I heard a small hlomp coming from behind me, I think he might be trying to scare me. He wasnt, but that didnt stop him from snaking his hands around my waste.

"Why anit youse joining da strike?" I asked, he sighed and said.

"Ise can't risk me boys till Ise know youse guys are serious, it's not dat Ise dont tink it's a great idea, but Ise wont risk it."

"Well, Ise guess Ise can understand that, but Ise still want youse dere. Please come soon, not that Ise don't have faith in me boys, but da bulls will kill us soon. Wese can finish this without Brooklyn. Wese can't finish this without Spot Conlon." I added in that last bit to up his ego a little more and try to persuade him. He said he would be there as soon as we could prove ourselves and not a second less.

"JO! Hurry up and go to bed!" Jack whisper yelled up the fire escape.

"Goodnight Doll." I heard him whisper in my ear.

I thought he was gone so I said it back.

"Goodnight King of Brooklyn."

From a good ways away I heard a very faint.

"Goodnight My Queen"

He couldn't see it, but I was blushing.

AN: Im not really sure why half of it is underlined if y'all can see that but sorry lol. I tried getting rid of it but it didnt work.