Chapter 7 - The aftermath

'You knew he'd show up?' Trevor asked while being in the garden, his hands on his waist.

       William stood in a dug hole, so he had to look up at him, the sunbeams dazzling him a bit. 'Of course, he's my friend,' he explained while wiping the sweat from his forehead on his arm.

      'He's your friend!?' he shouted, his brows furrowed in shock. 'That's how you treat your friends?' Trevor pointed out the holes.

      The blond shook his head in disappointment. 'If I answered, you wouldn't understand anyway.' He rested his hand on the shovel. 'Our friendship is a complex matter.'

      'We're literally burying him under the ground!' He outstretched his arms in a dramatic pose. 'What's any friendlike about it?' he asked.

      William looked at him with squinted eyes for an answer, then sighed and resumed deepening the hole. In the meantime, Trevor sat down on the lawn, his arms around his bent legs, before starting to stare at the morning sky. He knew it was the last time the two would spend in the mansion. They had taken one of the vampires out, thus the rest might have already been after them. It was the best option for them both to flee. Trevor wasn't allowed to express his opinion on that, though.

      'Can you come and help me?' William asked at last as he let out a sigh of exhaustion. 'I could use some,' he smiled childishly, then leaned towards Trevor on the shovel.

      'If I have to,' he said with a low-spirited tone before standing up and walking towards the vampire.

      The blond handed him the shovel and stepped back on the outer edge of the hole. Then Trevor started catapulting the soil behind him.

      'Trevor?' he asked after a while, making sure he could speak.

      'Yes?' He raised his head up.

      'When I said that he'd be fine, I meant the rest of the group would find him and put him together,' he explained. 'That's why we're not burying any dead animals over... well, his body parts so that they wouldn't find him.'

      'I don't understand. Why did we cut Jackson into pieces, then?'

      At that moment, the sun disappeared behind the clouds, and the gusts of wind were scattering the locks of their hair across their faces. It also began to get colder, but it was nothing unusual during the winter season. Both of them gazed at one another; Trevor was awaiting an answer.

      'So that he wouldn't put himself together without their help.' He went on talking after tossing his long hair out of his cheeks. 'I didn't want to kill him indeed, but that doesn't mean I don't want to use Jackson to distract the others for a while.'

      'Hmm, you're actually pretty clever,' he said, causing a delicate blush to appear on William's face. 'But that doesn't change the fact that you put us in serious danger,' he furrowed his brows in an accusing expression.

Trevor was exhausted after the morning they'd spent on burying Jackson. It also applied to his mental condition, since he had never fought a vampire before. Which turned out more fatiguing than he had expected. Going back from the upstairs, he walked into the living room, where William was sitting on the couch with a pointed shard raised to his head; it was covered in dried blood.

      'What are you doing!?' Trevor asked as a shiver went down his spine at the memory of the last night.

      'I'm cutting my hair.' William showed his ponytail, pulling it upwards.