Chapter 32 - This is it

Trevor had been staring at Miranda for the past few hours, and the view began to dull him greatly. Crossed-legged, the woman sat in a chair in front of him and was reading a newspaper, which seemed too familiar to Trevor, if he had to be honest. She had her fancy silk jacket on, as well as high-waisted trousers, yet there was no bun this time, so all her dreadlocks were hanging loose. Overall, someone could say she wore a suit—the same, too familiar. Maybe her heels were the only distinction from the version of William that Trevor had seen on the day of the kidnapping, and this prevented him from reminding himself of that blood-curling aura that had surrounded the vampire then.

There wasn't anyone else there, or at least his eyes couldn't find them. He knew the injection was approaching, and so he didn't like it, not in the slightest. They might have been even working on the injection at this very moment. He dreaded it, and couldn't see himself as a vampire. It wasn't his destiny, and everybody seemed to understand it, except for the vampires, who got through every boundary, every obstacle to catch him and make him one of their kind.

However, he couldn't suppress his thoughts forever, as the very memory of Houston covering his mouth and hurling him into the van where the others waited for them made him shiver.

Now there won't be anyone to switch the blood samples for you.

Trevor didn't have a lot of determination left. The exhaustion had taken over his body, and so he had no energy to scream or thrash around, no energy to beg Miranda to let him go, even though they had taken the bandana out of his mouth. He simply waited for his fate to come, no matter what it was. He'd compare his situation to an animal meant for slaughter, likewise he relied on the remorse of others. It was a shame the vampires didn't have any.

Suddenly, something broke a window and landed on the floor, then rolled to the centre of the room. Trevor jumped in reaction, wanting to get away from it as far as he could, which wasn't far, considering the rope that restricted his movement. On the other hand, Miranda seemed to hold her nerve. She folded the newspaper, put it down, and stood up, squinting at the little, round object.

"What is that?" she mumbled more to herself than the brunet.

Only when heavy, grey smoke began coming out of it, did she set her jaw, her features becoming sharp and attentive. She quickly knelt down beside Trevor and reached her hands out to untie him. As her eyes didn't look down, she must have been doing it from memory. Instead, she was scanning every corner of the darkening room, curls falling over her face or in her eyes.

As soon as she finished untying Trevor, she pulled him up by his arm and warned him, "If you try running or do something stupid, I'll kill you myself. Understood?" Her face was inches away from his.

Trevor swallowed and nodded, fear appearing in his eyes.

Her nails dug deep into his flesh, but not enough to cause him to bleed. She then detached a walkie-talkie from her belt, and roared into it, "Code red. I repeat, code red."

After that, Miranda dragged him to the back door, and out of the barn. The air felt moist. As the sun hadn't set yet, sunbeams shone on his face, making him squint, but a chilly breeze kept the weather not too pleasant. The barn itself stood in the lowlands—alone, as there was no other building close—so they could look miles ahead, miles of grass and nothing else. Maybe apart from trees.

She let go of his arm once only to push him forward so that he'd limp ahead of her, and the brunet immediately knew his leg didn't work properly, as it hadn't got enough time to heal or rest even.

Speeding up, she soon grabbed his arm again, and yelled, "Run, you moron. We don't have all day." Her tone always had disgust and hostility in it.

When Trevor saw trees growing close to each other from afar, all their branches in snow, he knew they were headed for the forest. However, to his bewilderment, Miranda suddenly stopped as they reached the first tree. She turned around and took out something from the jacket pocket. It looked like a pen, but had a button on top of it. Trevor couldn't help frowning at it, but the moment she pressed it, he knew. The barn exploded in the matter of seconds; reddish fire burst out of windows and doors, and after breaking in half, the wooden roof collapsed into flames, which would soon consume it to the ashes.