|| 17 - The Marauders Should Be Sons of Hermes ||

"Why on earth would we need your help?" Black sneered.

I bit back a sarcastic retort and said simply, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way." He waited for me to continue and a rush of satisfaction filled me. "I practically grew up at a summer camp. Prank wars are in my blood! I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want my help."

Black opened his mouth, probably to remind me that I'd beat the crap out of them and put gum in his hair, yadda, yadda and it was only the first week, but Pettigrew beat him to the punch.

Pettigrew gave me a disbelieving look. "We already have a plan. We don't need you!"

I blinked at him slowly, slightly surprised that he was talking to me instead of simpering behind Potter and Black. "What's your prank? Dye everyone's hair? Steal everyone's clothes?" I popped a hip and raised an eyebrow -- it was the standard prank.

Remus glanced at his friends and then smirked at me. "Kind of a combination of both," he admitted.

Again, I couldn't help but wonder why he looked so exhausted.

The other three whipped toward him muttering a series of, "SHH!" and "She can't be trusted!"

I crossed my arms, waiting for their whispers about how horrible I was to subside. "Listen, I have a sort of charm that you guys can't even fathom." They didn't look convinced. "And I can get you out of trouble if we get caught," I said matter-of-factly.

"We won't get caught," Pettigrew argued, matching my tone.

I considered socking him across the face but decided against it. "Just let me come! It'll be worth it." They all shared a look that didn't exactly make me feel hopeful. I frowned and straightened, sticking my nose in the air haughtily like I'd seen Cielle do a thousand times whenever someone disagreed with her. "Let me come... or I'll go get Ben, you know, the prefect," I threatened.

This time when they shared a look, I knew I'd won. I couldn't keep the smirk off my face as the four of them huddled together in what they figured was out of earshot. Was it actually out of earshot? No, 'course not.

"She's mean!" Pettigrew whined.

"She's right," Remus countered, not bothering to keep his voice down. Just another reason why I liked Remus the best.

"SHH!"

They all stuck their heads up and looked at me, as if they expected foul play. The three boys glared at me before shuffling the huddle a little farther away, still in earshot.

I mean -- the common room wasn't that big. To let them know I wasn't eavesdropping even though I was I plopped down on the armchair and inspected my nails, which, for some reason, had dirt under them. I was constantly getting dirty even though I literally hadn't done anything outside all day.

"I think we should bring her," Remus muttered, only slightly quieter this time.

"I don't like her -- " Pettigrew hissed.

"Will she even fit under the cloak?" Potter whispered.

Cloak? I wondered, Why is he worried about a cloak?

"She's blackmailing us!" Pettigrew pointed out.

Remus chuckled, "Charlie's not a snitch."

"You don't even know Myers," Potter made sure to enunciate my last name. "She could be a snitch!"

"Let's be honest," Pettigrew whispered urgently, "she's more Slytherin than she is Gryffindor."