|| 3 - Cheerleaders Kidnap Me ||

"Come again?"

There was a lot of confused hollering from around me but none of it really registered. All I could hear was the pound of my own heart in my ears and the breath that left my lungs.

"I was going back to ask Chiron a question, and I heard them planning to kill you." Ronan was typically level-headed and calm (well as much as a son of Ares can be) but he was basically hyperventilating.

I'd seen him face an entire manticore by himself. If this was scaring him...

Everything around me all seemed to disappear as the weight of his words hit me. "Why?" I wasn't sure if I thought it or said it but I assumed I said it out loud because Ronan freaked out.

"I don't know!"

"What did she do?!" Sawyer's uncomfortably manly voice ranged out over everyone else.

Everyone went silent as they processed Sawyer's question. She made a good point. There had to be a reason why the gods were trying to kill me.

I felt eyes on me, but I was struggling to form coherent thoughts. I'd lived at Camp Half-Blood my whole life. Mr. D, as annoying as he was, had still raised me beside Chiron. To think they were trying to kill me... well, it was like my very parents were trying to kill me.

I looked up, my gaze hardening. "I didn't do anything, Sawyer," I snapped, glaring into her eyes.

Sawyer held her hands up in surrender but she didn't look sorry. "I'm just sayin', you had to have done something to tick them off. They don't just kill their kids without reason--"

"Yeah?" I spat. "Say that to literally every demigod to ever exist! The gods could lose a poker game and kill one of us in their annoyance!"

"Hey, Charls, calm down -- "

I shot Ayla a warning glare. Telling me to calm down was like telling a drunk man to drink water when there was a beer two inches from his mouth.

"Sawyer," Maeve shot her an angry glare. "Charlie didn't do anything wrong. You know that as well as me." Maeve bit her lip. A habit she had when she was thinking hard.

"She's always getting in trouble -- "

"She told Apollo his tan looked fake -- "

"She flipped of Demeter for killing her lily -- "

I clenched my fists. I let out a bitter laugh. "As much as I love being told about everything wrong I've done in life -- " That shut them up. " -- how am I still alive? Why hasn't Zeus shot me with a lightning bolt? Why hasn't Hades opened the ground and swallowed me? Why hasn't Apollo or Artemis shot me with a bow?!" I pushed through the counselors around me, feeling crowded. Is it just me or is it hard to think when everyone is staring at you like you're a walking corpse?

"She's got a point," Erin said with a small smirk.

I could always count on Erin to be relaxed while everyone around her panicked.

Clayton shrugged. "Maybe it's just Mr. D that wants to kill you -- "

Asher grabbed Cielle's shoulders before she could attack the son of Hephaestus. He said, "Relax, Cielle. We're just trying to figure this out. We're not questioning your dad -- "

"We aren't?" Mason said with a smirk.

It took both Clay and Felix to hold back Cielle this time.

"Quiet, Mason," Maeve snapped angrily. "Ronan, where are Chiron and Mr. D?"

"In the Big House, last I checked," he answered. "But they might not be there anymore. They were talking about an important meeting at Olympus."

Maeve paled, chewing on her lip. "We need to hide Charlie," she deemed.