Chapter 8

"Hey, what is your problem with me?" Thomas asked as Gally led him to the Pit where he was to spend the night.

"Everything starting going wrong the minute you showed up," Gally replied quietly, "First Ben, then Alby, and now the girl. Everyone saw that she recognized you, and I'm bettin' that you know who she is." Gally gave him a hard look before opening the door to the Pit and letting him climb in.

As Gally was tying the wooden door shut, Thomas said, "Gally, you know we can't stay here." Gally just stared at him and then walked away. Thomas sighed, why couldn't Gally just listen to him?

A few moment later, he heard footsteps and leaned forward to see who was there. It turned out to be Chuck, who had brought with him some food. "Here," he said passing Thomas the bread, "you'll run better on a full stomach."

"Thanks Chuck," Thomas noticed that Chuck was playing with something in his hand, "Hey, what you got there?"

Chuck smiled slightly and showed Thomas the little figurine that he had carved himself, "It's for my parents."

"You remember your parents"

"No," Chuck sighed, "I mean I know I must have them and I'm sure they miss me. But I can't miss them because I can't remember them," he paused, "What do you think you're going to find out here tomorrow?"

"Uh, I don't know," Thomas sounded slightly resigned, "But if there's a way out me and Minho are going to find it."

Chuck nodded his head sadly and muttered "Yeah" under his breath. He looked at his figurine for a moment before passing it to Thomas.

Thomas looked at the figurine, confused, "Chuck why would you give this to me?"

"Can't remember them anyway. But maybe if you find a way out you can give it to them for me." Chuck rose to his feet and then started to walk away.

"Hey Chuck?" When Chuck turned back around, Thomas stuck his hand through the bars and handed him back his carving, "I want you to give this to them yourself. We're gonna get out of here, all of us. I promise."

Chuck swallowed thickly before nodding, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, buddy."

---

At the first sign of light, Minho had let him out and they had set off back into the Maze, the metal canister they had found in the Griever strapped to Minho's pack.

"Come on, we're almost to section 7." Minho encouraged as they ran through the seemingly endless concrete halls of the Maze. They were both hopeful that with their new clue, they would be able to make some headway into finding a way out of the Maze.

Soon enough they reached an area of the Maze Thomas had never seen before: great big metal door-like structures erected from the ground, mounted on rotating blocks of rusted metal. Seeing Thomas' confusion Minho said, "We call 'em Blades. Nasty things. If they ever start moving you best get the hell out of here."

"Good to know." Thomas said nervously.

As they continued to the forest of Blades the boys started hearing a strange ticking noise. They stopped and listened in confusion; realizing what the source of the ticking was, Thomas grabbed Minho's pack and yanked the metal canister from it without warning.

"What the hell?" Minho asked.

Thomas turned slightly and the ticking increased, eyes widening he took a step forward and then back again as the canister responded to his actions. He took several steps forward then, the ticking increasing with each step. He stopped and turned to Minho, grinning, "Follow me I guess."