Yukigaoka Junior High

Yukigaoka Junior High was not a particularly interesting school, all things considered. Yukigaoka did have it's advantages from being so uninteresting, such as allowing a girl on the boys volleyball team. Which was why you were racing down the stairs after Hinata, as Koji and Izumi yelled at both of you to slow down. 

Once you got to the gym, Hinata became even more excited, and you could understand why. The gym was the size of a soccer field, and full of people. 

"It smells like Air Salonpas!" Hinata yelled out, much to yours, Koji and Izumi's embarrassment.

"Don't say stuff like that Shoyo-kun, it's lame." Koji pleaded, and Izumi agreed.

"But it's my first real game! I've waited 3 years for this!" Hinata was practically trembling with excitement. He thanked Koji and Izumi, and the first years for coming while you checked the bracket to see who you were paired with first.

You were so thankful it wasn't Kei's school, well aware you would never hear the end of it.

"Ok Shoyo-kun, you need to explain the rules before you get cocky. I think I'll play libero, okay? And the team we're playing is Kitagawa Daiichi. I'm pretty sure they're good." You said, everyone quickly nodding in agreement.

Hinata started explaining the rules, with you occasionally interjecting with actual human words so it was understandable.

You heard footsteps behind you and quickly turned around, coming face to face with a group of intimidating boys.

"Shoyo-kun, get out of the way.  Mukai-kun, Taka-kun, just grab him please." You said over your shoulder, hearing Hinata whimper in fear, as Koji and Izumi pulled him out of the way.

"Are you Kitagawa Daiichi?" When you received a nod, you continued; "Great! I look forward to playing you today." You had turned away and walked over to the rest of your team, before Kitagawa had started moving again. 

Finding out that you were playing the favourites in the entire tournament first, did not do the team's morale any favours. Hinata feeling the pressure after Koji and Izumi tried to encourage him was even worse. Mentally you sighed, before you began giving orders:

"Alright, listen up. Contrary to Shoyo-kun's beliefs, we will probably not win this. But, we will try anyways. I'm playing libero, so unless the ball comes straight at you, let me try and receive it. Keep in mind I've never played volleyball before either, so all of you are going to be trying to set to Shoyo-kun. If I receive it, set it to where he can hit it. If you can't do that, just get it high in the air. I need to change jerseys, but you should all stretch."

You walked out of the bathroom in your black and green jersey, and noticed Hinata talking to a group of boys from Kitagawa Daiichi. You walked over to them, smiling until you heard them laugh mockingly, and then giving them a death glare.

"Hey, what were they saying about our team?" You asked, walking up behind Hinata.

They gulped nervously, especially when your glare sharpened when he mentioned they said your team had no libero.

"Actually, I'm the libero. Seeing as you're filling water bottles, do you even get to play in the game?" They looked indignant and were about to retort when a sharp voice cut through the air.

"The official warm-up is about to start. Get moving." His death glare was far more cutting than yours, you thought enviously.

Not to mention he was even taller than you. The second years scuttled, before making even more comments about your team, Hinata specifically. After another cutting glare from Kageyama, they ran off, leaving you and Hinata alone with 'the King of the Court'.

"You caught me just as I was about to tell them off myself!" Hinata said arrogantly and you facepalmed in irritation.

"They were making fun of you because you can't even handle a little stomach ache. You have no right to run your mouth." Kageyama's words, while true, were so annoying that you wanted to hit him. "Why did you come to this tournament anyways? To make memories?" He sneered, clearly of the belief that coming to win was the only acceptable answer.

"We came to win, of course!"

"You make winning sound so easy. And if you wanted to win, why is your tallest player the libero?"

"Shoyo wants to jump, and I'm the only one who can receive so playing libero makes sense."

Kageyama didn't even bother to glance at you when you spoke,

'stupid bitch thinks he's better than me because I'm a girl.'

"From the first game, to the second, to finals, to nationals, I will be the one standing in the winner's court!"

The two boys had an intense staredown, before you grabbed Hinata and dragged him back to your teammates. The warm-up did not go particularly well, but at least no one was going to strain a muscle.

Before the game had begun, you were already hearing comments about you being taller than all of the boys on your team, as well as the fact you were a girl. You ignored them, and bowed to the opposing team at the start of the match. Kitagawa served first, straight to Koji, who absolutely failed to receive it. You smiled at him, saying;

"I'll get the next one it's all good!"

The next point went in between you and Koji, but luckily he backed off and you managed to receive it. Izumi set it but it went over the net, and the onion head did a direct spike into the corner of the court. 2-0 to Kitagawa Daiichi. Throughout the game, you managed to receive most of the spikes and serves, but they never did lead to an actual point. It was getting frustrating, but you refused to show your irritation when everyone was trying their hardest. Finally, one seemed like it was going to get through… and then Kitagawa blocked it. God damn.

"Shake it off Shoyo!"
"We got this!"

You lost the first set, to absolutely no one's surprise. During the second set, you managed to get 10 points, still pretty awful but at least it was double digits. Until Kitagawa's number 5 and 6 started talking, very loudly, about how your team didn't have any decent defense. When you could hear them. And were playing the most defensive position there is. Let's just say you were mad and leave it at that.

Their setter blew up at them, shouting how Shoyo had 'stolen' a point. What a loser.

Izumi accidentally set backwards, and Hinata absolutely flew. It was a beautiful hit, and he went crashing through the barricades. The referee announcing it was out, absolutely wrecked Hinata. He stood up, and just stared through the net. Until Kageyama came up and yelled at Hinata, and then proceeded to yell at you.

"What the hell have you been doing for 3 years? And you! You're tall enough to be on a good team, so why aren't you?"
You snorted, even as you held Koji back with Izumi's assistance. He ran back to his team and you grabbed onto Hinata's arm to bring him back to yours. The game was only 38 minutes long, and Hinata looked absolutely devastated. 

Outside the building, you stood awkwardly with Koji and Izumi, all trying to figure out what you could do to make Hinata feel better. You saw Kitagawa walk past downstairs, and before you could distract Hinata, he was already running down the stairs rearing for confrontation. You followed after him, hearing Hinata include you in a bet to stay on the court the longest. You stood there silently until Kageyama had left, before punching Hinata on the shoulder.

"Moron, don't include me in your bets."

Regardless of your words, a couple days later when he asked if you wanted to practice with the girls volleyball team as well, you agreed. You got less practice than Hinata, still having to attend soccer practice after all, but you also got way better at volleyball, and were really enjoying it.

On the last day of middle school, you and Hinata went one way, and Koji and Izumi went the other. Karasuno high school, here you come!