champagne problems.

WARNINGS: Angst – lots of it - with a little smut (you're welcome)

SUMMARY: Civil War AU. America's Golden Couple has it all. Fame. Fortune. Love. All aspire to have a relationship like theirs. Until one night the illusion is shattered.

You booked the night train for a reason

So you could sit there in this hurt

Bustling crowds or silent sleepers

You're not sure which is worse

The R Line. New York City. New Year's Day 2021. 1 AM.

The monotonous rhythmic click-clack of the subway train threatened to lull you to sleep, and on any other day, it probably would have. But right now, your thoughts ran in circles at a million miles an hour crashing into one another like bumper cars. You sat tucked in the far corner of the train car. Your head laid clutched in your hands. Your heels thrown haphazardly in the seat next to you. Your feet throbbed painfully, so you didn't care that your bare feet touched the questionable floor of the train car. You only cared about the cool, soothing relief it brought; it felt like heaven on your raw blistered feet.

"What have I done?"

You had run from Avengers Tower all the way to the Broadway subway station, not really paying attention to where you were going. One minute you were out on the street next to the subway entrance, and the next you settled heavily into a deserted corner of the subway car far away from your fellow passengers. To them, you were just another girl whose dreams had been shattered on what was supposed to be "one of the most magical nights of the year".

Certainly not an Avenger, one of the Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Especially not Y/N H. Stark. Daughter of Tony Stark. Girlfriend of Captain Steve Rogers.

Well, you supposed now it was ex-girlfriend after tonight's cluster fuck.

In an effort to appease his new wife Pepper Potts and to focus on his own mental health, Tony named you as his replacement on the team. To the public, you were known as Iron Maiden. No, not the band. Your father had found the name quite hilarious; hence why he picked it when you couldn't come up with one yourself in time for your introductory press conference. With a newly upgraded nano-suit and brainpower to rival his own, you made an excellent replacement and co-leader of the Avengers.

Your co-leader just happened to be Captain America himself. You had been dating on the down-low for a few years. However, once you joined the team in an official capacity, your relationship became public knowledge and honestly all anyone could talk about.

America's Golden Boy had found his Golden Girl.

Things with Steve had been good – easy. From the moment you met him you knew Steve Rogers was more than just Captain America. He was a good man with a heart of gold, an ingrained sense of duty, and an unwavering moral compass. You worked well together both at and outside of work. He treated you as an equal in all aspects. You cared for one another deeply. According to others, there was no doubt he loved you because he looked at you like you put the moon and stars in the sky.

You loved Steve; you truly did. Which is why it was just as much of a shock to you as everyone else when you told him no.

Because I dropped your hand while dancing

Left yououttherestanding