Chapter 8

I ask Sara about this whole “lost daughter” thing and, of course, she knows all about it because apparently it is a thing. Sometimes I forget how new I am to Nashquittin.

I make the mistake of telling her that LV might be the lost daughter, because, when she sees LV next to Ray at lunch, she insists we sit with them. Although, maybe she’d do that anyway, considering she’s basically a one-woman welcome wagon. (I mean that in the best way.)

“It’s so nice to meet you! I’m Sara, and this is Denali,” Sara bubbles as I nod and tighten my knuckles around my tray.

“Hi,” LV says, and she stares at me for longer than really seems necessary. Ray holds his spoon of soup in the air and also stares at me, which makes my face feel hot.

Finally, LV looks at Ray and whispers, “Is she…”

He nods. I grit my teeth. Am I what?

Sara doesn’t seem to notice as she gingerly sits and sashays her napkin on her lap. “How are you liking Nashquittin?”

I sit down as LV responds at length: “It’s okay.”

Sara bobs her head and waits for more, but it never comes. “So…I heard you were homeless for a while. That must have been—“

LV turns to Ray with a scowl. “Everyone knows that?”

Ray swallows. “No, I…” He shakes his head and looks at me. Maybe he’s regretting telling me anything. But it’s not like he said it was a super secret sekrit. Did he really expect me not to tell Sara. Finally, he shrugs. “Word gets around. But there’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’ve all got your back here.”

“Do you?” she asks. If I could emulate this girl’s glower I would in a second. It could level cities. It certainly levels Ray. He shifts in his seat.

“Yeah, I do. The Captain does. You’re going to be okay.” But he doesn’t look at her. He concentrates on his soup.

Sara bites her lip before turning back to LV. “I didn’t mean to be so blunt. You don’t want to talk about Las Vegas? That’s cool. What did you do before that?”

Sara is giving her most spectacularly friendly smile, but this girl just isn’t having it. Bitch.

Except, then something cracks, some tension in her cheeks, a dent in her chin, and she’s got this look like she’s about to ball.

I lean forward. “It’s okay.”

When she looks at me, her face is still angled down, so it’s like she’s peering up at me. Something makes me want to hug her, like she’s a lost, flightless bird.

Ray touches her shoulder and she startles. He pulls back and swallows. “You don’t need to talk about your past, not yet.”

The glare is back. She looks at us. “Are either of you lie detectors?”

Sara nods and glances at me.

LV puts her napkin on her empty plate and stands up. “Then I probably shouldn’t be saying much to you anyway.”

I look at Ray, just in time to see him close his eyes and breathe out a long, frustrated sigh. Before I can ask him anything, he follows her out.

I know, this is a mini scene…hoping to post more soon! In the mean time, if you like New Adult, you can start reading one of my other books, HEARTSICK, here on Wattpad (http://www.wattpad.com/story/32276078-heartsick).

I’m also thinking of posting some extra material around Nashquttin and the other characters in Denali. Let me know if that’s anything you’d be interested in reading. :)