Scene One

Like the opening scene from La, La, Land, it's bumper to bumper traffic across the 405. That's pretty much where the comparison stops though as people honk and gesture obscenities at each other while rolling along. A black sedan cuts me off followed closely by a hive of silver and white four doors with camera lights flashing through the windows.

"I swear Jen if these stupid paparazzi cause another accident I will sue them myself for their stupidity; and endangerment!" I growl.

"Whoa, better be careful or someone might mistake you for a true Californian!" Jen laughs through my earbuds. "Seriously though, I don't get how you can stay calm in the middle of a lightning storm while tearing down c-stands, yet a little LA traffic always seems to send you over the edge."

"On a set everyone has a common goal, film the show. We're banded together for a greater good despite all of the difficulties. We look out for each other, for the most part. Here everyone is just so, overly, aggressive for unjustified self interests. Don't we already have enough photos of celebrities walking around, making out, partying? Why do we need a blurry photo of an SUV and a car accident to go with it? Besides it's not like everyone and their GRANDMA IS USING THE FREAKING ROAD!" I yell at a group of motorcyclists who blaze by me weaving in and out of traffic. The car in front of me slams their breaks causing me to break check the driver behind me.

"For real Andi, you need to drink decaf from here on out. I'm sure they don't mean to be as difficult as they are." Jen's concern, along with every other aspect of her, is sweet and genuine which I appreciate more than I can say. Living in Hollywood for the last four years has been an eye opener to the blinding amount of flash and, what should have been an unsurprising, lack of depth in people here. And crazily enough not for the reasons most people would normally imagine. While looks and charisma are obvious factors; the fast paced world, slim amount of job opportunities per capita, and constant leaving town for shoots has made it nearly impossible to create lasting, deep friendships. But somehow Jen and I have made it work.

"Did you ever hear back about that gig in Atlanta?" I ask, adjusting my rear view mirror.

"Oh, yeah! That's why I called, durr. I got it!" She squeals.

"What?? No way! Congrats girl! How long will you be gone?"

She hesitates for a moment, "Five, maybe six months. They want me to go out early and make sure everything's set up and ready when the producers arrive. I tried to see if I could get you on the show but they'd already filled the team."

"Which is the polite way to say they needed someone with more experience." I sigh. Gig after gig seemed to go to other people. I only got enough time on set to pay for the basics when it came to living in LA. Everything else I needed had to be earned through a regular job, something I assumed only starlets had to do. I slowly ease onto my exit with the rest of traffic.

"It's alright. I really am excited for you. Who knows this could be the one that really launches your career." I perk my voice up. Being down about my bad luck would be selfish. Best friends support each other, no matter what.

"I really am sorry. I just don't have enough sway with anyone yet to convince them of how good you are. You're seriously one of the hardest workers I know."

"Just not the most charismatic." I smile ruefully.

"Well there was that time when you took a director a cup of cold brew without a lid on it, or a straw, and he spilled it all over his script." She teased.

I laugh, "In my defense I was under the impression cold brew was beer. I thought I'd just been hired on to the best set in the world. Until I tasted it."

"Or what about the time when you argued with the leading lady about which version of A Star is Born was better?" She laughs.

"It's not like I knew her best friend was one of the supporting characters in the movie. And! And! I had no idea she was one of the actors for that show let alone the leading lady. She looked like crew! I thought she was just a hapless production assistant like myself." We both laugh at the absurdity of it all.

"Suffice it to say you might just be a little too true to yourself for Hollywoods standards. But don't worry you're going to find the perfect crew and set someday. You're career as a showrunner will happen."

"Well if it doesn't you know I'm going to ride your coattails all the way." I warn. I ease down the narrow alleyway of my apartment complex pulling into a cramped parking spot. I shimmy out of my car being careful not to bump my door into the car next to me.

"I wonder if they make these parking spots with someone who's not a size zero in mind. Not all of us want to participate in the starving artist diet."

"Yet, all of us renting a place like yours do, what a tragic life we live. Maybe we should write a musical about how difficult it is to make it in Hollywood." Jen suggests with a laugh. I make my way up the stairs to the third floor of my apartment. Chipped paint and rusted railings frame my walk up. Definitely not how Hollywood would want itself depicted.

"Hmm, you know you just might be onto something there. You should pitch it to your new bosses, I'm sure you could convince them it's the next La La Land...Speaking of smoozing, are you going to that party tonight at Greg's?" I fish around my purse trying to find the keys.

"Uhhmm, that might be difficult since Matt's going to be there." Finally snagging them with a finger I pause as what she's said sinks in.

"You'd think he'd be over you after a few months. You've literally been broken up for longer than you dated."

"I know, I just wish I could have realized it wouldn't work out sooner. The thought of him still being hurt over our break up...I didn't mean to hurt him." Jen says softly.

"Jen you are one of the sweetest, most selfless people I know. You did what was right by breaking up with him when you did. Prolonging it anymore would have made it even harder for the two of you to move on."

"Always the practical one. Where would I be without your expert guidance?"

"Mmmm, probably still dating that one guy, four guys ago."

Opening the door to my apartment I'm greeted by the dim, dingy space, a stark contrast to the bright blue sky and green palm trees outside. With a suppressed sigh I place my stuff on the nearby counter, closing the door with my foot.

"So no to the party?" I ask.

"If I don't go you probably won't either will you?"

"You know I'm not one for schmoozing. Small groups, interesting and real conversations, anytime. But there's only so much I can handle on my own when it comes to small talk or inane trivia."

"Let's go then. We are going to get you on a show before I leave so we can both be too busy to talk to each other."

I open the fridge to be greeted by more cold air than food which decides things for me. "Alright. See you at the apartment at seven?"

"I'll have to meet you there. We have a production meeting beforehand but I should be there by seven."

"I'll see you then."

"Bye, love."

"Ciao bella."

We've met Andi & Jen but how do two wanna be filmmakers fit into War of the Roses? Keep reading to find out.