Scene Five

So far so good, I think as I watch Scott's reaction to my presentation paying careful attention to his facial expressions. He nods along as I make several points, taking notes during key moments. As I wrap up the presentation the lights are flipped on blinding everyone for a moment. Scott smiles at me which is both reassuring and terrifying for some reason.

"Great presentation Andi." Scott commends.

"Thank you, I really think we can increase productivity and therefore revenue if we start implementing some of these." I respond.

"I agree." He looks at me with that fierce hyena look he's known for around the office. A look that says I will laugh with you while ripping you to shreds. "You know what else I think? I think you're the girl to lead this. It's time we start talking about your career here. You've shown a true level of commitment to this job. You're organized and smart. Even when you've occasionally jetted out to work on your hobby you've never been out long and you make sure things don't fully fall on your coworkers while you're gone."

I can hardly believe what I'm hearing. On one hand it feels strangely nice to hear someone recognize my skills and not once mention my honesty or lack of charisma. But on the other hand he just called my film career a hobby. Before I can think through anything else he continues.

"You would make a great manager. You know how I know? Cause I am one and I used to be just like you. Driven, organized, able to prioritize what's important, not distracted by other people's feelings, able to keep my eyes on the goals of this company." He continues getting more and more animated as he talks.

Is the color draining from my face? I feel like it has to be. He's the worst person I've ever worked for. And he sees himself in me. This isn't good.

"I want to put you on a two year managerial track. The company will pay for classes, increase your pay rate by two dollars every year until you become manager, as long as you hit the benchmarks which shouldn't be a problem for you. You'll also receive benefits. And let me tell you. There are definitely some great benefits with this company. So, are you in?" He asks, looking at me expectantly.

I'm shocked. That's the only way to put it. Mentally I'm still stuck on the part where he called my film career a hobby. Or maybe I'm stuck on the part where he said he sees a younger version of himself in me. But above all of that my mother's voice echoes through my head with the harsh cry of "someday, someday, someday" on a loop.

"What would my schedule be?" I ask hesitantly, tiptoeing down a path I'd never even thought about considering...the idea of having benefits, a steady paycheck. Maybe. If it would prove my mother wrong by showing her that I can have a steady job and pursue my career, I'll consider it.

"Why? Are you going to keep pursuing your hobby?" He sighs for a moment like what he's about to say is a big sacrifice. "You'd need to be here during office hours but if you absolutely had to jet out, every now and then, really no one would be the wiser. The higher ups rarely come by and they always give a heads up. They don't want their time wasted. So, do we have a deal?" He stretches his hand out.

My mind has gone from sluggish shock to racing through the implications and possibilities like the Indy 500. "Can I have a day to think about it?" I ask him.

"Sure, sure, take a day. But I need an answer by then for the higher ups. Indecision is not a good trait for a leader." He grins at me with that jackal smile.

"Ok, I'll have an answer by tomorrow." The fact that I'm even considering this makes me feel like I'm making a deal with the devil, if the devil were a manager at a mid-level corporate office.

All of a sudden the work day is over and I have no idea how I spent my day or how time seemed to pass so quickly. All I can think about is should I? So many thoughts, questions, have been swirling through my head all day. Is it worth it? Will I be giving up my career? Is this the smart thing to do so I don't have to stress about finances anymore? Would I prove my mom right by doing this? Would I prove her right by not doing it?