Oh fuck...

"Oh come on, Alec. Where is it exactly that you're working now?" Izzy asked, prompting him for an answer.

She sounded impatient, but there was something else in her voice. Something that Alec had almost overlooked. Something she was trying to hide from him. Was it... disappointment?

Alec dropped his gaze as he buried his idle hand in the pocket of his jeans.

"I'll tell you soon, Iz. I promise."

Izzy made a frustrated sound and Alec almost felt contrite for not satisfying her curiosity right then and there.

"Please," she softened her voice in an attempt to tug at his heartstrings, dragging the word out so much that it almost sounded like two words.

A small smile tugged the corners of his mouth upward as an image of his sister popped up in his head. Izzy was probably lying on her bed right now, her legs stretched out against the headboard, most likely wearing one of his old, oversized and washed-out sweaters that he had left behind. He had seen her in that position more than once, lying on her bed while talking to one of her friends and Max had told him once she always looked for comfort in wearing his clothing when he wasn't home. A sad expression replaced his smile, the tender guise fading from his lips as he realized he couldn't call his parents house, his home anymore...

Leaning against the exterior brick wall of the Night club, he closed his eyes for a moment. Alec couldn't count how many times Izzy had asked about his new job throughout the past few days. Twenty, maybe thirty, or even a hundred times? He had stopped counting.

Today was only his sixth day as a bartender at Magnus club. It actually seemed a lot longer than that.

"Alec? Are you still there?"

Alec blinked once, then ran his fingers across his forehead. A gust of icy-cold wind billowed around the corner of the building prompting him to rapidly raise his shoulders, burying his face deeper into the dark green woollen scarf Izzy had gifted him last year for Christmas. It won't be long now until the first snow of the year would fall and bury the streets of New York under a layer of white powder, turning the city into a winter wonderland. It would appear to be early this year, considering it was only the beginning of November.

A shiver ran through his body and Alec would have liked for nothing more than to flee the cold for the warmth of the club. But as long as he was on the phone with Izzy, he didn't want to venture inside.

A glance at his watch told him that he had been standing in front of the club for over fifteen minutes already, trying to thwart Izzy's curiosity. No wonder he was freezing cold. He had most likely already gotten frostbite. At the very least, his balls didn't feel like they could withstand the frigid weather much longer.

"Uhm, sorry. Yes. What did you say?"

"Your new job. It can't be so bad, that you don't want to tell me anything about it."

Alec glanced up at the curved sign above the clubs' entrance and again, a smile promptly tugged at his lips. The letters dazzled in pink and golden hews, sparkling brightly through the approaching twilight. It wouldn't be too long before the neon colours would lure the first guests of the evening.

Alec was already looking forward to the next few hours, the hustle and bustle behind the bar. He had never felt so carefree and relaxed in his whole life. He could certainly say that the short time he'd been working at Magnus' Club had been one of the most exciting times of his life. He was finally able to live his life the way he wanted, without his parents constantly criticizing him or telling him what to do.

"No, Izzy. It's not. The job is okay," Alec replied, biting down his tongue to avoid singing a euphoric song of praise about his new job.

"Then tell me."