Chapter 1: We Do Not Find The Meaning of Life by Ourselves

Spencer walked up the stairs, slowly, dreading what was about to happen.

Diane revealed herself, gun already cocked as she pointed it at him. "Put it on."

Spencer obeyed. She led him into a room, and he struggled to figure out where he was.

"Can I take the blindfold off?"

"No." Diane snapped. She forced him down into a chair.

He was scared; you could tell by his breathing. "Hello?"

"Hi." That was all Maeve could say before Diane interrupted.

"I was hoping you'd figure out my riddle." Her hand was trailing down his neck, beneath his shirt. "I mean, I knew you would. The fun was just, how fast you'd do it. All this and brains, too."

Spencer hated the feeling of her skin on his, but he fought not to move.

"It took me a long time, to be honest. I was distracted by your thesis."

She was shocked, stepping back from him. "You read my thesis?"

"I did." His voice was even, cold, calculating. "You know, I think your writing can put you on the same plane as Jonas Salk. I've already sent it to the NIH."

She was annoyed now. "Flattery is not gonna get you out of this. I know what's waiting for me outside."

Spencer shook his head. "I've arranged for your freedom."

"The federal government doesn't make deals with people like me," she spat.

"Not true," Spencer said immediately. "Nazi scientists were recruited for the Manhattan Project. Mafia bosses are regularly put into Witness Protection. If what you have is valuable enough, the federal government will work with you, and what you have is very valuable."

Her gun was at his chest now. "And what do I have, Doctor?"

Spencer's breath quickened. "You have a brain that doesn't play by normal societal rules. And I know that, all your life, the people you care about the most keep leaving. There's a part of you that thinks it's because of that brain. Well, I'm here because I'm not going to leave you. I'm here because..." he hesitated and swallowed his fear, "I just hope that I get the chance."

"Chance at what?"

"To be with you," his answer was immediate.

Maeve's breath was loud, but he had to ignore it.

"Me for her. That was the deal, right?"

Diane's voice was just a whisper. "You're choosing me over her?"

Spencer shook his head. "Diane, how could it be anyone else?"

"Prove it."

"All right, now?" Spencer took a deep breath.

"Say it again." She sounded sure. "This time, say it to her face."

Diane pulled the blindfold off, and Spencer saw Maeve for the first time. Both their eyes were filled with tears.

"I don't love you." He could see the pain in her eyes, but he forced himself to ignore it. "Sorry."

"I understand."

He couldn't stand to meet her eyes.

"I don't need her anymore." Diane walked towards Maeve.