Chapter 9

A/N: Yeah. This story is all over the place :P Last chapter had nothing to do with the plot and nothing relatively important happened, but I wanted to show the part of Link he tries to hide the most, in order for you guys to understand him better. And I really liked the concept of the Happy Mask Salesman returning something precious to Link after all this time (always... T-T), so there it was.

Just bear with me guys. I will move on with the plot this chapter, developing my storyline further and setting the stage for things to happen. Thanks and enjoy!

     Zelda woke to a rainy morning, water hitting the leaves outside her window and making a calming, rustling sound. Today she will be heading to Zora's Domain to check on Princess Mipha and her Divine Beast, Vah Ruta.

     She went to notify Link, only to find that he was already awake, sitting on the windowsill and quietly watching the raindrops fall and hit the ground. She found herself reluctant to disturb his peace all of a sudden, standing awkwardly in the doorway tousling with words, but then thought angrily to herself that what did it matter anyway?

     Before she could say anything, Link noticed her and turned around. 

     Zelda cleared her throat. "We are going to Zora's Domain to investigate Divine Beast Vah Ruta," she said quickly.

     Link hopped down from the windowsill and Zelda left his room.

     Half an hour later Link and Zelda were mounted, ready for the trip. Neither particularly minded getting wet, and the rain filled in the ever-growing empty gap between them, giving them something to hear other than perpetual silence.

     Zora's Domain was even more beautiful in the rain. The dark, overcast skies made the town even more luminous, even more alluring. In the distance, Divine Beast Vah Ruta perched in its place, waiting to be manned, watching over the Zora.

     Mipha was waiting for them in the throne room. Her eyes lit up when Link and Zelda arrived.

     "Welcome to Zora's Domain!" She smiled kindly. "So, Princess? Shall we start?"

     A few minutes later the two Princesses were at the Divine Beast, Link staying at Zora's Domain. The inside of the Divine Beast was majestic, mysterious, with many functions and buildings, almost like a puzzle waiting to be solved.

     Mipha had already learned nearly all of the controls, able to lower and raise the trunk of the robotic elephant as she wished, control the water pressure pouring out of Ruta to the exact, and make it move backwards, forwards, and side by side. 

     She's capable. Zelda thought to herself. There was no need for the entire day planned for her instruction.

     "Princess Zelda?" Mipha asked, her eyes bright. "Did I pass?"

     "Of course..." Zelda allowed herself a smile, completely satisfied. "Shall we head back to Zora's Domain now?"

     "Well," to Zelda's utter shock, a mischievous grin started spreading on Mipha's face. "That's really not quite necessary, is it? After all, my father wouldn't let me go out and explore the world normally, and I presume you've been through the same thing?"

     "Why... yes!" Excitement was starting to fizz through Zelda. "Your father would think you're still trying out the Divine Beast..."

     "And yours would think you're having some trouble teaching me..."

     "What are we waiting for?" Zelda cried, grinning. 

     "Overprotective fathers are made to be defied!" Mipha echoed her tone.

     The pair ran off, giggling like typical teenager girls. 

     Zelda and Mipha had the day of their lives. Neither had had a true best friend before, and they found so much common in each other. Both were much-beloved princesses that felt the social pressure keenly, both lost their mothers at a young age, both had annoying fathers that demanded quite a lot from them, and both were thirsty for adventure and friendship. 

     Mipha showed off her grace in water, flitting in and out of waterfalls and twisting out into the air like a dancer. Zelda was blown away, cheering her like she was the audience of a performance. 

     After running through a dense forest and Mipha tripping over roots Zelda didn't even realize was there, they fell into a heap, laughing until their sides hurt. Then they talked. They talked and talked about everything under the sun and just feeling glad to be alive, to feel the rain splash on their faces and to feel the soil, softer than the softest silk on their skin.

     Zelda found herself talking about things she never talked about to anyone, the pain of her mother's death, the stress of the 17th birthday power deadline, her passion for ancient technology and her frustration that she couldn't spend more time on research.

     Mipha understood everything. She regretted that she couldn't be with Sidon for more of her time, and she expressed her love for her people and her insecurities that she wasn't good enough for them.

     Zelda laughed in disbelief at that point. "Not good enough? You're practically perfect!"

     Mipha smiled shyly. "Not like you are."

     When they finally returned to Zora's Domain, dirty and out of breath, no one gave them a second look. They caught each other's eye and started giggling again, and were still in a spirited mood when they went back to the throne room.

     "Before you go..." Mipha looked down with a smile, "Can I have a word with Link in private?"

     "No problem." Zelda smiled back. 

     Mipha and Link walked to a secluded section of the woods next to Zora's Domain. They spent a few minutes in comfortable silence, just basking in each other's company. 

     "So, Link," Mipha began, "how have you been?"

     "Pretty good."

     "The Princess is quite something, isn't she?"

     "Really."

     "Link..." Mipha touched his arm. Link winced, flinching slightly.

     Mipha's eyes widened. She gently took off his arm brace and peeled back his sleeve. 

     A blossom of bruises, splashes of blue and purple and black, greeted her disbelieving eyes. They dotted his arm, weaving around him and disappearing into his shoulders where the Champion's Tunic hid.

     "How?" Heartbreak was plain in Mipha's voice.

     Link just waved it off airily. "Clumsy. You know me."

     Mipha looked him straight in his eyes. "Be honest. Yes, I do know you. You are not clumsy."

     Link sighed, looking down. He kind of knew this would happen. Mipha had a way of wheedling out information from him.

     "Fine. Groose and his minions. Dragged me out of the market. Hit me." He did not mention the ocarina. It was too painful, too personal.

     Mipha took both his hands. "Link. You can't let this keep happening! What if they break a bone the next day? What if they break your spine?"

     "it's okay, Mipha... I'm fine. I always am."

     Mipha spent the next half and hour quietly healing Link's wounds, as Link looked into the distance. 

     Completely unaware of the torment in Link's mind, Zelda's ride back home was cheerful, jubilant. Mipha was so much cooler than she had expected. Seriously, it wasn't everyday you meet someone so like you you're practically twins. 

     Not only that, Mipha was obviously sharp and learned fast, which meant she was completely capable of operating the Divine Beast with no problem. Her battle skills were at the very top, as Zelda had seen firsthand when a stray bokoblin attacked them.

     What a Princess she was. Kind, gentle, much-beloved, but also incredibly fun to hang out with. The guy she finds -- and Zelda could tell Mipha had already fallen for someone, but she couldn't figure out who -- better do her good.