Payment

A large ship and smaller fishing boats sat at the docks when the Shearwater pulled in. Men and women busily unloaded cargo, baggage, and to Nom's surprise, animals and passengers. Those newly arrived gazed around excitedly as they walked off the docks into town.

"What are they doing here?" Nom asked no one in particular. "Why are any of them here at all?"

Tanaga, conscious again, stood on deck, cradling his bandaged arm. He obviously still suffered some pain, but insisted on carrying out what duties he could. He answered, "Settlers, mostly from Uluria. They've been coming here a few years now, lured by the empty land. It's foolish or ignorant, of course, but I suppose they have their reasons. It's one reason Qayid was willing to make this trip. He, probably alone of all the Endo merchant fleets, knows he can trade with them. Even tiny Shearwater can stow enough Rabidian artifacts to make a huge profit."

Nom shook his head in dismay. "Tanaga," he held his hand out, pointing at the unwitting arrivals, including families, "this isn't right. You can't let them stay here."

Tanaga was a master of sympathetic expressions, but he couldn't reflect the depth of Nom's own sorrow about this. "We've talked to them before, but they are convinced this is their only hope of a better future."

Nom took in a deep breath and let it out, then went to gather his gear. The young men and Omega were similarly packing their things, but Dev informed them they could sleep onboard overnight while the ship resupplied and traded goods. Evening was nigh, so they decided to stay put.

---

"I wish we didn't have to sleep here on the ship," Nom said, gazing at the night sky through the unfinished deck.

"Shh, get some sleep. At least we're together, and have jobs." Saqu was right. Work had been scarce since Rabidi's resources and supply chains started disappearing or—Nom didn't know what to call it—decaying. Most of it went now into military and navy production, like the shipyards. Nom and Saqu were lucky to be working on the ship machinery.

"I tried to talk to him," Nom whispered, "but the foreman insists on maximum production time. I'd rather we were sleeping together more privately." He winked at his wife in the starlight.

She gave him a half-hearted smile, and said, "Me too."

Nom's own smile fell as hers did, then he squeezed her hand. "Look, we've been stressed, not eating well, working too hard; it's no wonder things haven't gone as we planned. It hasn't been working out for a lot of people. But the Council chose a new emperor who promised to fight back this Hollow thing, so maybe after that, things will get back to normal, and we can try again."

"Sure," Saqu said. She let go his hand and rolled over. Things hadn't been normal for a long time.

---

"I'll talk to him again," Nom insisted.

A warm breeze mixed with the cooler sea air as the stars poked through sparse clouds. Omega's light flowing sea clothes appeared purple in the darkness, but lit up orange as she walked aft past each lantern on deck.

Ahden grabbed Nom's arm, holding him back. "She's honoring our deal," the large man said quietly. Qayid stood outside the captain's cabin, holding one of his small portraits. Omega talked with him briefly, then pulled down her goggles and they went inside.

"I'll stop him," Nom said aggressively, "by force if I must."

"No offense Nōm," Ahden said, "but despite your age advantage, I don't think you could take him. All three of us together couldn't overpower his loyal crew."

Dev said then, "Qayid will do the right thing."

Nom pounded the gunwale with his fists, then sat and stared blankly at the beguiling clouds blowing by, and focused on the pain inflicted by his hands. Seawater peacefully lapped the ship, footsteps padded on the planks of the deck, the swinging lanterns squeaked ever so slightly, and Nom let none of that peace in.

Ahden and Dev stood. "There she is," Ahden said. It had only been a minute, had it not? Or was it an hour? Nom wasn't sure. Omega walked towards them in the dark, and the shadowed door of the cabin slowly swung close behind her. She sat down by them, looking gloomy. They all waited in silence. Dev pretended to pick some lint off his coat.

"He got what he needed," Omega finally said, "just like anyone deserves."

The men flashed glances at each other, wondering if the others knew what she meant.

"Fine," she said, throwing up her hands, "I can see you all need something too. I didn't do it. He's just a lonely old man that sorely misses his daughter, and I don't blame him for that. I needed to know everything about her, so we talked at length, and it started pouring out of him. Someone was truly listening to her story, bringing the memory of her to life, and that was sufficient for him."

"The old softy," marveled Dev.

"Well done, Oa," said Ahden, putting his arm around her.

"What are you looking so sour about?" Omega asked Nom.

Dev interjected, "Oh, he's just disappointed he couldn't go clock the old man for you, and get his head beat in the process."

One side of Omega's mouth tugged up, and before she became too smug, Nom batted a hand and grunted, "Bah!" He stood and went below deck to get some sleep.