Chapter 17

February 14, 2012
JJ and Emily's house

Emily's POV

Today is Valentine's Day, my least favorite "holiday" but as much as I hate it I always celebrate it for JJ because she loves it. I want to make up for the past year, I know this isn't going to resolve everything but this is how I'm going to start.

I had this day planned for a week and a half but I needed time to set up so I woke up very early to start. It's 6 am and I'm getting ready for the day. I'm going to make breakfast and make her think that's all for the day. I know that alone will satisfy her but she deserves to be spoiled so that's what I'll do.

I quietly grab my keys and sneak out of the house. I spot at Walmart get a cheap bouquet of flowers, a heart-shaped box of chocolates, and a teddy bear for Henry to give her. I got a couple more things for Henry and some stuff to cook breakfast then went home.

I made it home by 7 and luckily everyone was still sleeping. I have about 45 minutes to an hour before JJ's internal clock wakes her up. I frantically but quietly begin making breakfast, I start with the pancakes, making my plain but very special pancake recipe that JJ is in love with. Next, I make French toast, eggs, and bacon. I look at the time to see I'm pushing a very tight schedule it's 7:45 so I need to wake up Henry.

I quietly run up the stairs trying to not wake JJ up. I get to Henry's door, slowly opening it and softly shutting it behind me. "Good morning bubba," I say slowly waking him up.

"Momma It's too early." He whines turning his back on me to continue sleeping.

"Bubba we have to bring mommy her food in bed, it's Valentine's Day." He doesn't budge. He must hate this "holiday" just as much as me. "If you get up now I'll give you apple juice and a teddy bear to give to mommy and I'll give you half my French toast."

At the mention of French toast, he sat up. "Let's go." He says partially excited considering he just woke up.

I check my watch to see it's 7:55. JJ is going to wake up at any minute. I pick up Henry quietly sprinting back downstairs. I quickly fill up a sippy cup with apple juice for Henry as I promised and gave it to him along with the teddy bear, chocolates, and flowers. I put him down grabbed a small bowl of fruit out of the fridge put everything on the tray and we both carefully made our way up the stairs making sure not to drop anything. Henry got to the door first opening it, I follow behind him to see JJ wide awake on her phone, probably checking her email.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Henry and I say in sync.

She looks up from her phone and her face lights up, "Awe you brought breakfast and flowers, I think I might cry." I walk over to the bed setting the food on the nightstand.

"No crying on one of your favorite holidays even if it's happy tears," I say kissing her head. "Anyways, good morning beautiful how'd you sleep?"

"I slept good and woke up even better," JJ says.

Henry jumped on the bed handing her the stuff I brought, I put the breakfast tray in front of her to display my very well-made breakfast. "I made pancakes for you, French toast Henry and I, as well as eggs, bacon, and fruit."

"Thank you, baby." She says giving me one last kiss before digging into the food.

We ate breakfast in bed laughing and sharing food as families did. Henry talked about his dream and how he got chased by dinosaurs but when he ran out of breath and had to stop he found out they just wanted to play. We laughed and continued to eat, taking small breaks for conversation.

When we finished eating I gathered all the used dishes, "Hey bubba go pick out some clothes I have to drop you off at Grandpa Dave's house." I say.