Chapter1

'Clouds are strange', I thought as I looked out the window. Big, white, puffy. They seem frozen in time, looking out at the world, at the slow-moving trees and the fast-moving cars far below.

"Melani, pay attention."

I never liked that name, how it sounds like a short form of Melanoma. My mother never liked that I said that, she said that I should never joke about things that can kill you. My mother is smart.

"Did you hear me, Melani? Why was the printing press important during the Protestant reformation?"

I never really understood the concept of God. Everyone has tales about God or Gods, depending on who you ask. Who they are, how they lived, what they did. Everyone says that there is proof of their God, that they were these all-powerful supernatural creatures that roamed our Earth, and that our own lives are insignificant compared to these great and almighty beings.

"Melani, stand up".

I wonder who thought of the concept up first. The idea behind that world changed after the whole 'the Earth is not flat' thing. The entire round, or, well, elliptical Earth screwed with everyone's head. The very idea that the ground that you stand on isn't what you thought it was must do that to people.

"Melani, can you hear me?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Can you please tell me why the printing press was important during the protestant reformation?"

"I don't know ma'am."

"And why is that? I've just taught you why."

"..."

"Can you please answer me, Melani?"

I really hate my name. My mother said that hate is a strong word. I think it isn't strong enough.

"Melani, are you listening to anything I'm saying?'

"..."

"MELANI"

It's never a strong enough word.

***

"So how was school today Melani?"

She asks me this every day.

"It was fine."

"You look down Melani."

She says this every day too. I never understood her to need to suffix my name at the end of every sentence. 

"Melani?"

I continued my walk home. It's really hot today.

***