Kageyama Tobio

Karasuno High. Once known as a powerhouse school due to their relentless boys' volleyball team, then apparently they tumbled down the ranks and earned the name  'the flightless crows'. Although the latest word around town is that these new first-years sound pretty promising. I don't play, but I know the basic terms and rules of the game. I'm just here because my parents decided the Miyagi Prefecture is 'prettier' than our old home.

    The last bell rings and I make my way outside. I waddle around the campus, checking out the caf, the office, and other useful buildings. Somehow I end up in front of the gym, and it sounds like the rising stars of the boys' volleyball team are practicing.

    I peek inside. A grey-haired boy sets the ball to a huge spiker who.. kinda looks like he walked straight out of The Bible. The Jesus lookalike slams the ball to the other side of the court, but instead of hearing a loud boom like I expected to, a more pom-like noise comes from the opposite side of the net.

    I squeeze my head in a bit further to see what that deadly meteorite hit, and I spot a rather short boy with a tiny hair highlight squatted in a recieving position, sporting a triumphant grin. Must be the libero. The three players come together and begin high-spirited chatter, and though I admit they're good, I dont think they are the first-years everyone has been gossiping about. I recall that one of the newcomers is called the King of The Court, a supposedly amazing setter who-

    "Can I help you?" a gravelly voice asks from behind me.

    I spin around, smacking my head right into the gym door. "OUCH!" I yelp as I stumble onto the ground.

    "What in the - hey, are you okay?"

    "NO, I am not okay!" I dizzily look up at the idiot who made my soul leave my body, ready to start yapping away at how he should make his presence at least more gradual. "Next time-"

   I stop short as my vision clears and I see the figure towering over me. Glassy dark blue eyes dart around the area, as if making sure nobody was around, before fixing it's intense gaze on me. But the second he sees me, his expression changes and he avoids my gaze. His eyebrows furrow into a frown as he drops to one knee to help gather my books that spilled out of my backpack. "Sorry. What were you doing spying on the gym like that? You looked like a creep" he mumbles, still not making eye contact.

    "I just wanted to explore. The team looks solid. I heard there's some good first-years that just arrived..?"

    That's when I notice his uniform. Black with orange sections on the side, and a large 9 sits in the middle of his shirt.

    Oh, God. Don't tell me he's-

    Now he looks at me, and he corners of his lips tip up. "Thanks. We're not too shabby, in my opinion."

    "Oh," I smile weakly. "You're one of the first years."

    Mr. Blue-Eyes nods and bows slightly. "Kageyama Tobio. Setter. Nice to meet you."

    I almost choke. So this dude is the so-called 'genius setter' whose quick attack with the 'insane middle blocker' is meant to earn Karasuno's title back?

    "Akari Masumi." I return the gesture. I turn back to the gymnasium where different players are doing the same routine I watched earlier. "Are you about to play?"

    "Yeah. Ran a little late to-"

    "KAGEYAAMAAAAA!!!" a high pitched voice screeches from the building.

    He hangs his head in defeat. "I'm never going to hear the end of this, am I?"

    Another short boy, different than the one I previously saw, bursts through the doors, nearly killing me.