Oikawa Toru

🚫🚫TW: hints of abuse🚫🚫

"Hey. Watch it."

I force myself to look up from my now mud-stained uniform and scratched up hands. A group of boys tower over me, looking down on me like I'm a peasant. I feel like a peasant. I start to get up, but a shoe lowers itself down on my forehead, daring me to make another move.

"Where do you think you're going? I didn't hear an apology." One of them taunts.

"Hey. Let her go, man." Another says in a strained whisper.

The foot returns to the ground, and it's all I can stand to look at. I feel ashamed. Small. Helpless.

I can practically hear the malice in his voice. "You serious, Toru? Look at her for God's sake. She's just another.." a brief pause, like a lightbulb just appeared above his head. "..toy to play with." I feel his eyes drag themselves up and down my filthy self, and I bite my tongue to hold back the tears. "I think you'd be nice to play with. Little low for my standards, but-"

A small thud and the boy is on the ground too, glaring up at someone with daggers as eyes. I follow his eyeline to see a tall third-year, my age, firing back at him with the same threatening stare.

The one on the ground scrambles to get himself back up as he realizes everybody else in the school courtyard is staring. He dusts off his jacket and stalks away with the rest of the group. "The fuck, man? It was a joke, jeez."

After they left our line of sight, the second-year sighs and looks down at me. I expect him to yell at me for embarrasing him in front of his friends, or that I need to get my shit together and stop being a doormat, but instead, through blurred tears, I see his extended hand. I stare at it. He then kneels down and gently wipes my face, as if he knows anything too strong may scare me off. As his features become clearer, I notice that his eyes are no longer glossed over with anger, but now are warm and brown, the same colour as his fluffy hair. "Hey, my name is Oikawa Toru. Are you okay?" he enunciates every word, like he wants me to thoroughly understand each of them. His voice is like melted chocolate, smooth, light, and silvery. His whole persona seems to resemble milk chocolate.

He looks at my bloodied hands and knees. "Oh... You're hurt, I- I'm sorry." He reaches for my hand but stops himself before meeting his eyes with mine, silently asking permission to touch me. I nod, and he delicately lifts my left hand to examine the damage. "Okay, there are a few bits of rocks and debris in the wounds, so you'll need to go to the nurses office. I'll escort you there, if that's okay with you, um..?"

"Riko Moriko", I say with a wobbly voice. "Only if it's not too much trouble though. I... already probably messed up your friendship with those guys so I would understand if you wouldn't want to help me anymore."

Oikawa lets out a strangled laugh. "Friendships. Any bond I had with those idiots is gone now. All my respect for them, too." His expression becomes bitter. "He never should have said that. I'll kill him. I'll kill him with my bare hands if I have to but he's not going to get away with saying all that. God, I'm so disgusted with myself for ever associating myself with that monster, I-"

"Oikawa?" I interrupt hesitantly.

He snaps back. "Sorry, I..." he smiles as his eyes return to their warm glow. "Sorry. Let's get you to the nurse." He stands, and wordlessly asks permission again before helping me up. Only then do we realize that everybody in the courtyard are looking at us with judgemental faces. Oikawa takes off his jacket and wraps it around me so that the hood is covering my face.

"As you were," he commands. Footsteps and soft chatter resume and he directs me to the office while keeping me tight to his side. "You okay?" he asks quietly enough so that only I can hear him.