buttermilk cookies mixed with jealousy

jealous!yjh x oblivious!kdj

-high school au

inspired by chapter 50.1 of EKIGP

———————————————

Kim Dokja liked to think that him and Yoo Joonghyuk were pretty good friends. Not in a 'literally know everything about this person and share my deepest, darkest secrets with them' kind of way, but more of a mutual understanding.

They just got each other.

It first started when Yoo Joonghyuk had saved him from Song Minwoo and his gang, and their friend later developed further when their seats were coincidentally arranged right next to one another in every class they had together.

Sure, the black haired youth in front of him was somewhat cold and distant but Kim Dokja, being the persistent bastard he was, managed to wiggle his way into Yoo Jonghyuk's ice castle of a heart.

Everyday, they would meet each other before class started, Kim Dokja would rattle on about whatever web novel he was reading while Yoo Joonghyuk silently listened—he could totally be ignoring him but for some reason Kim Dokja just always knew that wasn't the case.

Before they met, Yoo Joonghyuk seemed to live in a different world, he was like the main character of his own story. Maybe that was why Kim Dokja enjoyed his company so much, because he admired the boy that was what he wasn't.

They were both soothed by one another's presence, sometimes no words were exchanged throughout the day, walking home together bathed in a peaceful silence. When Joonghyuk was in a particularly good mood, he would be more vocal and bash Kim Dokja with numerous insults, both knowing that he never meant any of them.

Bad days were usually when Song Minwoo appeared, after beating their asses, Yoo Joonghyuk would simply pat his back letting Kim Dokja know that everything would be alright. Letting Kim Dokja know that he mattered.

On a seemingly average day, not good or bad, Kim Dokja walked into class with a spring in his step, and a small bag in his hands.

Sitting down, he opened the bag up and released the sweet fragrance of butter milk cookies.

While pretending not to care, Yoo Joonghyuk watched as Kim Dokja pulled a squid shaped cookie out of the bag and admired the pastry in his hands.

To Dokja, it was the first gift he ever received. Sure, he had teachers and fellow students give him the obligatory chocolate on Valentine's Day, but this was the first time someone actually spent time and effort on giving Dokja something out of the goodness of their heart.

He craved affection that was absent throughout his whole life.

Of course, he had Yoo Joonghyuk who always showed bits of kindness in his own emotionally constipated way, this was special. It came from someone of the opposite gender.

How was Kim Dokja's pubescent ass supposed to act when a member of the opposite sex gifted him cookies for what looked like no apparent reason?

By the way, Kim Dokja thought that the emotional constipation further added to the protagonist's charm in its own strange way.

Seeing Yoo Joonghyuk eye the cookies, Kim Dokja proudly explained their origin.

"The class rep gave them to me"

Yoo Joonghyuk seemed to be going through some internal conflict, after a brief pause he responded.

"I don't know who that is"