Chapter 13 - The One With The Insane Idea

"Abhimanyu?" Ishita exclaimed. "Matlab Mani? Mera bachpan ka dost?"

[You mean Mani? My childhood friend?]

"Haan Ishu. Mani ka rishta aaya hain. Kuch waqt pehle uski behen ka phone aaya tha tumhari Amma ko. Tabse unki baatcheet ho rahi hain," her father answered.

[Yes Ishu. Mani's proposal has come. His sister had called your mother a while back. They have been talking since then.]

"Ishu, please is rishte ke baare mein dhyaan se socho kanna," Amma implored. "Maine tumko pehle nahi bataya kyunki tumhare paas Ruhi thi aur phir tum uske custody case mein busy ho gayi. Lekin ab woh chali gayi hain kanna. Aur tumhe apni life ke baare mein sochna hai."

[Ishu, please think about this proposal carefully dear. I didn't tell you earlier because you had Ruhi and then you were busy in her custody case. But now she's gone dear. And you have to think about your own life.]

"Amma, maine shaadi na karne ka faisla bahot pehle hi le liya hain. Ab woh nahi badlega."

[Amma, I had decided a long time back that I didn't want to get married. I'm not changing my decision now.]

"Kanna, tum thoda time lo. Kuch dino ke liye dhyan se socho. Itni jaldbaazi mein, bhavnao mein behkar decision mat lo. Mani kitna accha ladka hain, hum sab jaante hain. Tumhara bachpan ka dost hai. Woh tumhari infertility ko leke koi problem create nahi karega. Aur shaadi ke baad tum uske saath ek baccha adopt kar sakti ho. Ek family start kar sakti ho."

[Dear, take some time. Think about it for a few days. Don't take a decision in haste or while flooded with emotions. We all know how good a guy Mani is. He's your childhood friend too. He won't create any problem about your fertility. And you can adopt a child with him after marriage. You can start a family.]

"You don't get it, Amma. Main koi dusra baccha nahi adopt kar sakti ab. Ruhi hi meri beti thi. I can't replace her. Not now, not ever."

[I can't adopt another child. Only Ruhi was my daughter.]

"Aiyo Ishu..."

"Ek minute Madhu. Main baat karta hoon," Appa interjected. "Ishu, is baare mein hum baad mein baat karte hain. Kuch dino baad. Jab tumhara dimaag thoda shaant ho jaaye. Abhi sab so jaate hain. Thik hai?"

[One minute Madhu. Let me talk. Ishu, we'll talk about this later. A few days from now. When your mind has calmed down. Let's all go to sleep now. Ok?]

Ishita stomped into her room and slammed her door close. How could they? How could they possibly suggest she even think about replacing Ruhi? No. She would not let that happen. She was in no mood to get married and 'move on.' The only way she could move on was by indulging in work. That was her outlet.

And so, that's what she did. The next morning she woke up bright and early and left for her clinic. She worked until she lost track of time. In fact, Mihika had to call her in the evening to make sure she was okay since she hadn't come home on time. All of a sudden, she understood why Raman was such a workaholic. He wasn't dealing with losing his wife; he was trying to cope with being separated from his son. The same way she was trying to cope with being separated from her daughter.

Over the next three weeks, Ishita began taking extra shifts at the clinic. She even offered to work on weekends and attend to any emergencies that came up. Being at home wasn't appealing enough now that Ruhi wasn't there. Whenever she happened to be at home, she kept herself busy. The meals she cooked were enough to feed a village. Whenever she cleaned, she scrubbed the floors and counters squeaky clean.

Every now and then, she tried to get a glimpse of Ruhi from across the hall. But she restrained herself. Ruhi had to let go of her in order to mix in with the Bhalla family. Other than a few minutes of conversation, hugs, and kisses when she left for work and came back, she had little interaction with her. Even then, Ishita cherished the few moments she got with her little angel.