Chapter 22 - The One Where Ishita Falls Sick

Bhalla/Iyer Residence - Monday, August 12th, 6 am

The alarm rang and Ishita was startled awake. But unlike every day, when she got up with a spring in her step ready to seize the day, today she could barely lift her legs off the couch. Her body ached all over; her head was heavier than a bag of rocks; her skin was burning up; and she was ready to throw up at any minute. But she had responsibilities: Ruhi, her patients, her family. She couldn't afford to miss a day. With every ounce of strength she could muster, she turned off the alarm as quickly as possible and stood up. Unfortunately, she wasn't quick enough and ended up waking Raman who was fast asleep nearby on the bed.

"Madrasan, turn off the damn alarm! You might have fun waking up at the crack of dawn, but I'm no rooster! Mujhe meri neend bahot pyari hai! [I am very fond of my sleep!]" Raman exclaimed as he turned over covering his ears with pillows.

Ishita didn't even find any energy to reply. She simply made effortful steps towards the bathroom. Her gait was much slower than usual. All these changes did not go unnoticed by Raman. He was perplexed. This woman was the strongest, most persistent woman he had known but today she wouldn't even reply to his taunt. And it bothered him. He loved the little fights they got into. They bickered on anything and everything. They were nowhere near a perfect couple, but even so, every interaction with his wife made him feel alive.

"Ishita, kya hua tumhe?" Raman asked, genuinely concerned. [Ishita, what is wrong with you?]

He got up from his bed but before he could even reach his wife, Ishita lost her sense of balance as a bout of dizziness overcame her. She went hurtling towards the floor, causing Raman to dive forward. Ishita collapsed in her husband's arms.

"Ishita! Ishita! Utho! Kya hua tumhe?! [Wake up! What's wrong?]" Raman gently patted Ishita's cheeks in vain attempts to wake her. He lifted her up bridal style and laid her down on the bed. The noise had drawn his parents to his room, who were knocking at his door.

"Raman puttar? Ki hoya? Sab theek hai? [What happened? Is everything ok?]" Toshi's voice boomed. Raman was confident that she must have awakened the rest of the house. He quickly opened the door with one hand as his other hand opened the dial pad on his phone.

"Maa, Ishita ki tabiyat theek nahi hain. Uska shareer garam hai aur woh abhi abhi behosh ho gayi. Main doctor ko phone kar raha hoon."

[Maa, Ishita is not well. Her body is burning up and she just fainted. I'm calling the doctor.]

Toshi sat beside Ishita and lovingly ran her hand over her head. "Hey Mata rani, abhi abhi to hamare ghar mein sab theek ho raha tha. Aur ab Ishita ki tabiyat ko kya ho gaya? Meri bacchi ki raksha karna Mata rani!" Toshi, as always, was filled with worry. And for her, Mata rani was the only hope.

[O Mata rani, our house was finally finding its peace again. And now god knows what has happened to Ishita's health. Please protect my child.]

.....................................................................................................................

Fortunately, Raman was able to get a hold of the urgent care doctor on call at Batra Medical Center and convinced her to do a house call. The fact that Ishita was her fellow colleague helped in convincing her to make special accommodations. Of course, the extra payment and donations that Raman promised to the Batra Medical Center did more to help. The check up was happening now in Ishita and Raman's bedroom. Madhu and Mihika stayed inside with Ishita, while Vishwa, Raman, and Omprakash waited outside in the living room, and Toshi prepared tea and coffee for everyone in the kitchen. The doctor had given Raman the first choice to accompany Ishita as he was her husband, but one exchange of looks told the both of them that it wasn't a good idea. Neither of them were at that level of comfort. At least not yet. As of now, Ishita would be most comfortable with her mother and sister.