- Chapter 6 -

( 𝙆𝙖𝙣𝙖𝙤'𝙨 𝙋𝙊𝙑 )

Classes have been stressful recently, despite semester finals seeming to pass by like a breeze. She had been held back in one of her classes for questions about her workbook, so she was walking late to class.

Kanao heard rumors that there was a new kid coming to class. Weren't they supposed to be getting him in a week? Guess he couldn't wait to come to a new school.

Stepping quietly into the class her eyes locked onto red gentle eyes. Her breath hitched in her throat, it couldn't be. There was no way he could've known where she was, they barely kept in contact even after all their promises yet, she couldn't find it herself to be angry.

The feeling was relief was it? After all this time he's still alive, she heard he got adopted by urokodaki. At least it was someone they could fully trust. Her parents have opened up to her about being demon slayers, hashira at that.

Kanao knew urokodaki was retired from the demon slaying corps. Her mom has had a deep conversation, she wasn't forced to learn sword fighting skills or anything like that it was completely her choice. Never has she considered it, but looking at Tanjiro at first glance she knew. He worked hard over the years, even though he's not as tall yet he had built up muscles.

Violet eyes flicked down to his hands before the teacher called her name ripping her out of these thoughts.

" Kanao are you going to take your seat so our new student can introduce himself. " The teacher spoke softly with just the slightest tint of annoyance.

( 𝙏𝙖𝙣𝙟𝙞𝙧𝙤'𝙨 𝙋𝙊𝙑 )

Tanjiro couldn't hold in the small giggle that wanted to escape past his lips. He could tell Kanao was softly glaring at him, all he could do was smile at her. It's been to long.

" Hello! I'm Tanjiro Kamado, I'm new to the whole school thing since I have been homeschooled for as long as I could remember. Thank you for having me! " he spoke with a bright tone before bowing quickly.

The teacher quickly sat him in the desk towards the back. Kanao was a couple seats away, he really wanted to talk to her. It was class but he could hardly pay attention, never was he cocky with his abilities and smarts but he knew if he got a test of this subject he'd get an A. Urokodaki was a fantastic teacher, if he struggled even a little he'd break it down easily.

His gaze fell onto Kanao, her eyes seem a little more dull then the last time he's seen her. Then again she was sobbing that day. Pinching his leg gently his mind decided to replay it in his head like a film. She didn't want to go yet, it was the happiest day of her life.

Finally out of the orphanage. Finally out of the cage.

The class bell signaled that it was time for lunch. Swiftly pushing himself off his chair he followed Kanao as she was trying to leave.

" Where are you going! Can we please talk at least. " he pleaded when they turned a corner and walking up some weird flight of stairs. Guess they were going to the staircase or the roof, he never minded though. He didn't know where all this desperation came from. All he knew is he needed to talk to her.

The silence was killing him. She didn't speak a single word to him until she stopped on the rooftop abruptly.

" Where have you been. You promised you'd keep in touch, you promised. " her voice broke with every word. He could tell by the very sad scent, but he could tell she was mixed between being angry and happy.

" I- I swear I tried, after you got adopted I got adopted by Urokodaki a week later. Then he kept me so busy that I couldn't do much, I needed to do it for my sister, Tsuyuri. I never intended to hurt you. " he kept his voice light as he took a step toward to look her in the eyes so she knew. Tanjiro would never lie about something like this even to her.

Using her first name must've caught her off guard, her eyes widened in shock as they filled with tears. Before he knew it he was tackled into a bone crushing hug. Quickly wrapping his arms around the girls smaller frame he let her sob into his shirt.

Tanjiro closed his eyes listening to ever word she said. She often times would repeat ' I missed you, I missed you so much. '

" I never broke my promise Tsu. "

Finally pulling back from the hug he found himself missing the warmth he felt. Not thinking much of it he pushed it to the back of his head before he finally choked out a small.

" We saw eachother again. Right? "

( Authors note )
Hello everyone! I'm finally updating after so long, I'm going to try my hardest to put myself onto a schedule, I'm going to try updating every friday if I can. I've been busy for awhile so I've been lurking here and there, but I found motivation to write some more! Anyways I hope everyone has a lovely day or night, hopefully I'll see you next friday! 🥀 :)