I

The minute that Obi-Wan saw 'the parties will "crash land" on the nearby moon and make contact with the locals under the guise of refugees' he sighed and leaned on his elbows heavily, letting the data pad fall onto his desk. Master Yoda had called him to the temple to discuss the mission, and the meeting weighed heavily on his mind.

"A delicate mission, this is. Visit and observe, you must, if we are to gain knowledge of our enemy's next move" Yoda had said, sitting cross legged in his chair while he meditated, the dull blue glow of the starchart carving out deep lines on his face.

"But Master, I already have a current assignment. Isn't there another Jedi who can take this mission on? It is a long time to be spending undercover and I fear that I will be needed here" he protested, but to no avail. Master Yoda's eyes opened and fixed him with a strong stare, the light of the force flickering gently in them.

"Assigned to Young Skywalker, your current missions are. Never fear, Master Kenobi. Gather this information, you must. May the Force be with you"

He let his head follow the datapad until it bumped against the solid wooden desk, slowing his breathing until he managed to calm his mind. The silence was broken by his intercom chirping quietly, and after a moment, a familiar presence washed the room as his churning Force energy latched onto his anchor.

"Commander, is everything alright?" Obi-Wan asked, letting his eyes stay shut for the moment as he basked in the steady glow that was his commander's force signature.

"Yes sir. I just received this communique and wished to discuss it with you."

Rolling his head a little so he could look up at his visitor, he took in the tense way his commander was standing, the taut lines of his face that years of spending time with the man had allowed him to notice. His eyes dropped to the datapad gripped in one hand and he smiled slightly.

"It seems, Cody, that you have also been assigned this mission?" He finally sat up, gesturing for the clone to sit in the only chair that wasn't swamped under flimsiwork and spare robes. "It will be long, several months at least and I can understand if you wish for someone else to be assigned. Someone has to look after the 212th while I am away."

"With all due respect sir, the fact that it is you going away for several months is the very reason I accepted. Someone has to look after you" Cody grumbled, and then finally with a little twinkle in his eye, motioned to his lightsaber. "Who else is going to keep track of that saber?"

Obi-Wan frowned, without malice, and then finally let himself smile. "I'll be glad to have your company Cody, however I should think it a rather droll mission, sitting around listening to rumours and gossip." He picked up the datapad again and scrolled through the brief, memorising names and details.

"In all honesty sir," Cody began, setting the datapad down on the desk with a smile, "I think I'd rather tired of all our assault missions for the meantime."

Obi-Wan smiled in sympathy, but his heart was warm. It gladdened him to know that his Commander was comfortable enough to speak his mind, that he was no simple 'yes-man', even if it did take several months of encouragement. He made the effort to learn every single name and armour insignia of his men, to treat them as individual people, to encourage individualism where he was sure the Kaminoans would severely disapprove. He let the lilting language of Mando'a linger in the barracks, admittedly not letting on to his troops that he was also fluent, but the side conversations proved a useful insight into his troopers' wellbeing. It also allowed him privy to the gossip that can only come from among brothers, which more often than not were hilarious, crude stories about mishaps from other regiments.