II

Cody schooled his face into one of easy nonchalance as his General conveyed the news to their battalion of their reassignment, noting the way excitement began to creep over Waxer's face as the initial shock wore off. Captain Gregor was a smart, perceptive man, and Cody knew that he would be able to keep the troops in line alongside Rex, but that man did have a panache for asking the right sort of difficult questions. He wanted to tell them so badly that he and the General were going away for several months, kriff, even he didn't know most of the details of this mission.

The comforting hand from his General felt in stark contrast to the tense words whispered by his ear. Once the General has left the barracks he let himself be pulled into a card game, this time betting little packets of spices they had picked up on their last shore run, and he basked in the contended mood of his men. He helped Wooley repaint his pauldrons in their signature '212th gold', chatted with Cookie about new recipes to try in the mess hall, with Boil and Waxer about the new standard issue high-powered rifle that has entered the final round of testing, just spending his last day with his brothers. That was until Waxer pulled him aside late into the evening when most of the troops had nodded off.

"Tion'jor vaabir ni as'gaanir te gar nari sibu'an ret'?"

Cody shook his head and clapped a hand onto his friend's shoulder. "Calm down Waxer. I'm not going anywhere." The white lie stung a bit, but it was calmed by the relief in his friend's eyes. "Get some sleep. The 501st will be here tomorrow and I cannot have my men lounging around because they have exhausted themselves."

Waxer hauled himself into his bunk, so Cody headed towards the door, letting himself have one last sweeping look over his brothers, willing their safety to the universe, and switched the lights off, walking the hallway to his own quarters.

Sparsely furnished with a bed, a desk, two chairs, and a little kitchenette, he was afforded a private space due to his rank of Marshall Commander but he hardly used it. He checked the datapad that lay on the bedside table and read the time, noting that he had about half an hour until he was due to meet his General so he took the time to pack. Methodically releasing the clasps that held the plastoid armour together, he couldn't help but let his mind drift to the mission ahead. Kriff, he didn't know what system they were heading to but here he was, turning his back on his brothers to go racing across the galaxy with his General.

That uncomfortable thought he refused to acknowledge started to rear its head until he managed to force it back into its box, sealing those problems behind the Code he was sworn to. Piling the armour onto the bed, he set his bucket down next to it and rubbed absentmindedly at a smudge near the visor. The non-descript bag sat on the desk just inside his peripheral vision and he knew it was the clothes from his General for their departure but something made his heart ache. Cody picked up the small glass spiral that hung in the window – the blue piece throwing irregular shafts of light every time it moved. That had been a present from Boil who had found it in a market one day.

Unzipping the black bodysuit, he let it fall to the floor as he felt the rough tunic in his hands as he held it up to the light. It was one of Kenobi's tunics, he realised as his heart skipped a beat, the smell of the special kind of soap the Jedi used wafting gently over his senses. The clothes were a little tight, but it was fine, and a worrying thought passed in the back of his mind that if these looked loose on his General then he must be thinner than Cody thought, which is a worry. He began to repack the bag with the small amount of non-uniform clothing he owned, and at the last minute, he took the blue glass pendant and tucked it between a pair of socks.

---

He watched curiously as his Gen... Obi-Wan began the almost ritualistic motions of removing his robes, no doubt going through the same thought patters that he himself went through after doffing his armour. The dark brown outer cloak, the tunic, the inner robe, until his general was standing there in an undershirt not too dissimilar to his own. The General was thin, thinner than Cody had remembered but then again he hardly saw the Jedi undressed like this. The thought of watching his CO undress had a light flush creeping up the back of his neck and he was grateful when Kenobi turned to him with a sombre expression.