Prologue

"Subedar." His sneering face greeted the younger male, leaning against the doorframe of Naib's room.

"Campbell." Naib returned the expression, his tone slightly lighter than that of Campbell's.

The two stared at each other for an uncomfortable period of time, each boy soaking in the appearance of one another. Norton wore a large black coat with an equally large scarf, along with a pair of tattered jeans. He had a funny black hat on, the sides of his hair furling up from the pressure. His glasses made him look quite innocent too, Naib would never admit. The latter however wore an odd but simple long sleeved shirt and was in his boxers, his long hair let loose. The moment lasted for a while, until Naib caught himself holding his breath and cleared his throat. “What do you want, asshat?”

Norton Campbell, one of the star athlete of Oletus High. His charcoal black hair glistened in the sunlight, the silky hair bobbing up and down with his movements. His physique was undoubtedly impressive, and his facial features... handsome and hot was the only way to describe it. Norton would always exercise lightly before his games, stretching his godly biceps and a hint of a well built torso whenever his shirt would lift. A sight to behold. It had many guys and gals alike pinning for the boy. Despite many telling him to go for being the main batter, he would shrug and simply say the same lines: “I like being a pitcher.”

Norton twirled the car keys around his finger, catching it with a small smile. “Nothing much, I just wanted to ask if you wanted anything from the convenience store? I’m heading out to a friend’s.”

Naib had already readied his answer for a blatant ‘No’ but his body stopped himself. A huge rush of ideas washed over him, and the drool slipping away from the corner of his lips gave it away. “...Pudding.” he mumbled, almost embarrassed. Norton laughed and waved at him, closing the door with a small ‘alright’.

The other star athlete of Oletus High, Naib Subedar, considered himself to not be as much of a big shot as Norton Campbell.

The people praised him for his agility, and often would flock over him asking questions. The hooded male however did not speak, he only kept to himself. Sure he would be able to knock the lights out of the delinquents of the school, sure he could be threatening whenever he desired.

Naib knew that comparing himself to a completely different person would make him loose his sense of self and indulge into unnecessary thought. But he still did. And how he hated himself for it.

Naib was short. Shorter than most students in the school. He didn’t have strong arms like Norton’s, and had flat torso, lacking any healthy muscle under his slim body. He looked frail, and admittedly it did help him go against those that underestimated him. But that wasn’t what Naib wanted. He wanted people to acknowledge him, to acknowledge his own strengths.

Naib respected Norton as an athlete, but despised him as a normal person. How could such a perfect human being exist? He excelled at everything- whether it be grades, sports, and popularity. Great, another list for Naib to pity himself over.

In conclusion: Naib was a miserable boy.

Especially when he gets episodes of disassociation, memories of people he doesn’t recognize, yet seems too far familiar. The images flashing between his eyes were so close yet so far. His body would always be in a constant state of pain and comfort all at the same time. It all started when he met Norton Campbell.

He peered over the window and watched as Norton’s titled vehicle ‘Rocicante’, drove off downtown. Naib sighed. How did he end up being roommates with the one who made his life a mess?

Fate was cruel. Naib Subedar, 16. Roommate of the infamous Norton Campbell.