Chapter 1

Fate was merciful. Naib Subedar, 16. He had forgotten to do his assignment.

"Subedar. Where's your essay?" Mr Desauliners shot up his eyebrow, his glasses quite literally glaring into Naib's eyes. Naib only looked away, the shadow of his hood covering his eyes. "My dog ate it." he said nonchalantly, shoving his hands into the pocket of the green baggy hoodie.

The grey haired man groaned, crumpling his papers in exasperation. Many considered him to be quite attractive, but when he soured his expression like right now, he would resemble an old man much to Naib's amusement. "This is not the first time you've said the exact same reason! At least make up a better excuse, monsier!"

Naib could only chuckle internally, watching how whiny the old and wise Joseph was being. It wasn't as if the lad was trying to piss the teachers off on purpose, academics was not really what he enjoyed. The short male could pass his tests and exams with effort, and the professors knew it. Most of the time they'd let him off easy because of it. But his notes and assignments...

The professor grumbled, tapping his head in thought. "If you're so against writing essays, might as well make you do some work." He smiled and looked at Naib, hoping for a reaction. Joseph only sighed when there was none.

"What may that be, professor?" Naib frowned, crossing arms. Joseph motioned to the window, pointing at the garden at the back of the school. There were three large fields, each for tennis, baseball and rugby. They were spaced out in between, the garden located right between the fields and the school premises.

'This school is too big for its own good.' Naib thought.

"Tend to the gardens starting today. Emma Woods, the main caretaker took a leave for the week." Naib hummed, not minding the punishment. In fact, he'd very much prefer this over writing. "Alright. I hope I keep the garden alive till then." Joseph chuckled and brushed him off, waving a hand. "Aesop will help you. Now off you go."

The professor shooed the student off, heading back into the staff room. Naib could only go to the garden and hoped that 'Aesop' would be there. As the brunet made way down the hallway, he ran into William and Tracy.

"Naib!" The duo called out at the same time, greeting the boy warmly. They each spoke about their day, complaining and venting about the assignments they were given. Even if the conversation wasn't the most interesting thing in the world, Naib enjoyed the small interactions he had with them. As they waved their goodbyes, Naib looked back.

The two seemed to get along great, and their size difference made them look akin to a dog and a kitten. Everyone knew they had a crush on each other, however both of them were too afraid to ask each other out. Even Naib tried to bring them together once, but it never worked out.

"Idiots." Naib laughed to himself, awkwardly walking into the tiny shed by the garden. He wondered what it was like to love someone. Was it really such a wonderful feeling?

A nauseous feeling swelled up in the brunet's stomach. He closed his eyes, gripping his stomach. A voice lingered in his mind. "Subedar, you dumbass!" Naib's body raked in pain, his breathing becoming heavy. "Stop fucking sacrficing yourself already!-"

What is this...?

Naib felt as if he was there... But at the same time, he wasn't? His body felt light, lighter than his own weight. He watched as a man with a funny hat held him... Or not him? He could see his face, but he could see the top of the hat as well. The brunet made out what was a candle on the hat, wisps of smoke spiraling out of it.

The man holding him had a large red burn etched onto the left side of his face, and tears staining his cheeks. His dark eyes glittered as the wetness built up, wavering and vulnerable. Just as Naib, or not Naib? Reached out to place his hand on the man's cheek, someone grabbed Naib's- the real Naib's shoulder, pulling him out of his trance. It caused the boy to yelp out in surprise.