Chapter 5: A Noir Adventure

As the sun set on Osaka, the Hep Navio building sparked to life as swarms of customers entered, queuing up to see the latest films on display at the cinema within. Far from the long queues, Jurou sat at a small round table of a café and watched.

Wow. He thought. 

It wasn’t the long lines that captivated his attention. A girl with short black hair with pink strips stood behind the counter of the snack bar. With a bright smile; she welcomed each customer, greeting every member of a group and even making sure to attend to the children’s requests when a family was present. 

Akatsuki-san is really talented when it comes to dealing with people. She has a confidence that puts each customer at ease. Jurou marvelled.

Though, all she does is give my heart palpitations. 

A smile slowly snuck across his face, growing wider as he continued to watch. If asked; there’s no way Jurou would be able to tell how much time passed as he sat there, watching, but it moved fast as soon there were no lines left. Not too long after the lines had disappeared, Niko made her way to him.

“Sorry for making you wait for so long…”

“It’s okay, I, uh, just played games on my phone so the time flew by.”

Niko looked at Jurou’s untouched cell phone on the table next to a, now cold, full cup of coffee. 

“Right…” she responded looking at him suspiciously. “Well, it’s almost time; just wait a little while longer.”

“-For what? I still don’t know why you brought me to your workplace?”

She grinned, “I told you, it’s a surprise. Just do as I say and don’t think too much, I’ll have you know, you have Osaka’s greatest adventurer at your service! Trust in me.”

Jurou watched Niko stand at the snack bar for a few more minutes, looking at her wristwatch every so often, anticipating something. A few moviegoers began trickling out of the cinema auditoriums from the left and the right, passing the snack bar in the centre as they began their commutes home. 

Suddenly Niko began waving frantically, catching Jurou’s attention.

What is she…? Before he could finish the thought, he recognised the gestures she began making. Beckoning him to her; she waved back and forth with an excited, wide grin.

I’m definitely going to regret this.

Jurou approached, nearing the counter, but Niko suddenly began walking to her left and his right causing him to naturally veer his course. 

What is she up to?

She slipped behind a door and popped out in front of him in a corridor that led to the cinema halls on the right side of the establishment. He walked up to her.

“What are you doing?”

“Shh!” She said not looking at him, “Follow.”

He followed as she walked passed a few auditorium entrances. She raised her hand, gesturing a halt - which he responded to, before opening a door on the left and peering inside. She began waving her hand again, beckoning him, as he approached he saw the sign on the door; ‘Staff Only.’

Before he had time to fully grasp the events unfolding before him, she grabbed his hand and pulled him inside.

“Wha-“

“Shh!”

She led him through the staff locker room to her locker, quickly stuck a key in and opened it.