xxiii. the famous killing trio

"WELL? ANY SIGN of stroke? How long until our brain melts?" Josephine questions, glancing up at her father

"Best guess 36 hours, less if you can't keep on her side of the divide." Russell exclaims, looking over Josephine's brain waves.

"Oh, it's not a problem. She's back in her cage." Josephine quips as her father helps her off the lab table. "I just need to stay awake long enough for Priya to build something to generate the EMP."

"You can't tell Priya or anyone else, not until your mother is back and we're sure we can make enough hosts for you and the others." Russell explains.

"I'm confused." Josephine shakes her head. "I already have a host. I just need you to finish what you started. We take out my mind drive, we nuke the neural mesh with the EMP, and then we put it back in. Problem solved."

Russell sighs, looking over his daughter. "Josie, we have a chance to erase this sin, to give Kya her body back, to put you in a willing host."

Josephine's eyebrows raise. "Uh, are you out of your mind?" Before Russell can respond Josephine can feel blood dripping from her nose. "Uh, look, dad. I've seen inside this girl's head. I know what she's done. Trust me, if we bring her back, she'll kill us all."

"I don't think she will." Russell disagrees. "Not if we do the right thing. Sweetheart...when the universe gives you a second chance, you take it. We'll get through this. You'll see."

-

"Adorable." Josephine comments as she walks into the mechanics shop, Murphy on one knee in front of Emori. "Sorry to interrupt. Where's Ryker?" When she get's no response she raises her voice. "Ryker! Ryker, get down here."

Sighing Murphy stands back up. "Josephine, Emori. Emori, Josephine."

"Hello." Josephine turns to face the couple, shaking Emori's hand. "Bet you can't wait to get rid of that thing."

"Uh-uh-uh-uh, hurricane Josie." Murphy stops her before she can go searching for Ryker. "You owe her an apology."

Josephine stares at them for a minute before spinning around. "Ryker!"

"What is it?" Ryker questions, walking downstairs. "What's wrong?"

Josephine shrugs. "Not sure where to start. How about the fact that you're living in the machine shop and not the palace?"

"It's Kya, right?" Ryker questions, giving the woman an odd look.

"Unfortunately, the answer to that is not a straight up no." Josephine quips.

"Sorry. What do you mean, it's not a straight up no?" Murphy steps forward, a confused expression on his face.

Josephine's quiet for a moment as her eyes move from Emori to Murphy. "Is she with us?"